I Need Help -ComeOnFish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help -ComeOnFish

I am getting my first kayak for my 16th birthday and was wondering if there was a good kayak that I could look into getting, I have been looking into getting a kayak fishing for a couple years now and I intend on fishing the CBBT and other waters similar to this. My price limit is $1000 but i would like to stay in the $700-$900 range so that I can save money for a fish-finder etc. Of course cheaper would not bother me. I am hoping to get suggestions and any tips that I should know. Thanks.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Best advice is to get out and demo a few different kayaks. Actually get a chance to paddle them around and see how they feel, how things are laid out etc. I'd suggest sit on tops in the 12-14 foot range. A couple good ones to look at if you are planning on hitting the bigger water and in your price range would be a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or the WS Tarpon 120 or 140. A lot of people will suggest a hobie, and they are really nice but finding one in your range will be tough. You never know though and some good deals can be found on C-list and on this forum now and again. The best of luck in your search!

Chimo

Comment

M_Duong60,

Chimo hit it right on the head. Test your prospective kayaks. Hobies are great, but they do cost more than a $1000.00. For under $1000, I like the Ocean Kayaks and the Wilderness Systems Kayaks.

Comment

Many of us felt invincible when we were 16. We did things then that we later realized were not as safe as we should have done. I say this not to poke fun at a new kayaker, but to reinforce how important safety is when going out any time, but especially when you venture far from shore in cold weather. You mentioned that you are on a tight budget. Using the proper protective and safety gear is critical -- but good quality safety gear is not cheap. You are better off learning how to use your kayak in more sheltered waters and during the months when the water is warm. Once you become comfortable with your kayak and have the appropriate gear for winter open water fishing, you can fish at places like the CBBT more safely.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

A Hobie is nice and and I love my revo, but the price point is high even or a used boat. For starting out I would spend the time looking hard at used boats. There are many good fishing kayaks out there and if you look around you should be able to get something for less than $500. I think I sold my two year old Scupper Pro with rod holders and seat for less $400 several years ago when I upgraded to a Hobie. Good luck

Danny

Comment

Thank for all the help.... I was wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in a marine radio.
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

M_Duong60,

I think I know who you are. I think we communicated over youtube.

I am glad you joined the site. This is a very good site and you will get a lot of info. Keep asking.

Anyway,
              Where do you live? I live in chantilly. Soon in January, I am fishing the warm side of Lake Anna. it is a protected water and the water temp is over 55F-60F. If you live near me I can take you there so that you can get familiar with kayak-fishing.
              It is not a problem at all for me. This way you learn a lot before you make you decision.

Take the time. I want you spend your money wisely since you don't make good money yet

I have three kayaks.
              So you can try two Hobie and a regular kayak.

Feel free to pm me.
              Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                M_Duong60,

Chimo hit it right on the head. Test your prospective kayaks. Hobies are great, but they do cost more than a $1000.00. For under $1000, I like the Ocean Kayaks and the Wilderness Systems Kayaks.
                There are some GREAT Malibu Kayaks too...very stable if you fish the bridges. Fishtank loves his ...
                i think it is a stealth 14...he keeps right up with his wife's hobie
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I'll echo John veil's advice to get safety gear, but it does not have to be too expensive. Frogtog waders, Columbia semi-dry top and a good pfd, I got all that and a vhf radio, and a nice rod and reel under $300 last year (I had a gift card).
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3444616639.html. This is an ad from a person selling a 2005 hobie outback. He's asking 1200$ which to me is was to much for and older out of date model. See if he will take at most 800$ for it. I just bought a 2007 outback for 950$ I'm pretty happy with it. I say try and get this hobie so you won't have to keep buying new kayaks because you end up finding another one that may fit you better.
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                    X