Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alive and well

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to drop a a quick note and let everyone know I'm still alive. My daughter was born on October 15th, I started a new job at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in DC on October 20th, and it's been almost non-stop chaos since then. Harper Violet was 7lbs 8oz and 19" at birth. I immediately thought that she was heavy for her length if she was a striped bass. Labor was long, but everything went pretty smoothly, and my wife recovered quickly. Harper pretty much eats constantly and doesn't sleep that much. However, I've been taking time to make sure she gets exposed to the fine sport of fishing:

My new job is pretty cool, too, but the IT rules are kind of strict. During the new employee orientation, they said, "We ARE watching, and we WILL report you to your supervisor." Plus, I'm not doing the kind of number crunching that gave me time to fool around online while the analyses ran. I'm in the Division of Hydropower Licensing, so most of what I do now involves working with state agencies, federal agencies, and the hydropower operator to make sure aquatic and fisheries resources are protected as much as possible. Even though it's bureaucratic in nature, there are a lot of interesting aspects. My boss and coworkers are cool, too. The commute is killer, though. It's 2 hours door-to-door. I'm either on baby duty or logistical support once I get home, so I've haven't done much of anything online in a while. However, I'll be getting a smart phone soon, so I should be able to check in more regularly during the bus ride home.

I haven't been fishing much, but I think that will change once we can get a more stable schedule at home. One of the nice perks to my job is that I can get one day off a pay period if I work a compressed schedule, and I can telework 3 days a pay period. Once the days start getting longer, I plan on resuming occasional evening trips again.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful notes and well wishes, and that I'm looking forward to fishing with you guys again.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Congrats on the Baby addition. I'm glad to see that you do have your priorities. Family is also mine. Good luck on the new job and it looks like a good one too!!! The cool thing about our sport or hobby is that there will always be other fishing days and the kayak will not deteriorate!!! Enjoy the holidays and the new addition...
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Dude ....... she's beautiful ....... congrats .......... Not alive and well ........ alive and wonderful. You have a great new baby and a great new job ....... enjoy her while you can....... the grow up soooooo quick

Comment

Congratulations, Dr. Bill!

Cute baby! My son had that same outfit haha.

That 2 hour commute is killer. I know first hand what it's like. At least you aren't the one driving the whole way though!

Good luck with the new job and the new family addition.
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

I am glad you are alive Bill. Congrats again on the little fisher woman. I asked Ron Ault about you last week. I know from my brother in law and his job and baby that it can put a holt on the fishing real fast. That is the great thing about a kayak, when your schedule stabalizes and each one of you can handle the baby for half a day, then you can take the yak out on quick jaunts since it is less of a logistic issue and effort than it is if you had a 24ft inboard or outboard motor boat.

Comment

Bill -

I'm glad to hear that things are going well with the new job evaluating hydropower facilities. Back in the 1980s when I worked at MDE, I got involved with some permitting issues at Conowingo Dam regarding minimum flow releases for aquatic life protection and discharges (clean water and wastewater) from the working part of the dam. I actually got to make a site visit and walk through the bowels of the dam face to see the turbines and associated machinery. I spent nearly all of my career working on water and energy issues. It has been a rewarding and enlightening experience -- I hope you find it interesting too.

Congratulations on your new daughter. Enjoy your years with her watching her grow up. It is a great experience. Since you seem to be leaning toward fishing-related accessories for her wardrobe, please remember that Boga Grips are for holding fish, not babies. However, kids really enjoy playing with small plastic tackle trays (great for holding their craft supplies and small trinkets) and soft plastic twister tails (once they are old enough not to swallow the plastics).

If you want to target some pickerel this winter, let me know.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great to hear from you, my friend- congratulations- you have such a beautiful baby girl- being a girl Dad, I can relate- working across the street from the White House, I can relate to the awful daily commute into DC- it was so bad this week I worked from home three days instead of going into my office- smart phones, MacBook Pro, DSL service...doesn't really matter where I am- I can still can do my work- and have access to all my files on the server- even remotely print and send faxes from my office while I am working from home- love the technology today- but the downside is that you are never away from it- only time is on an airplane and with some now offering INTERNET in the air even that is no longer true- looking forward to seeing you out on the water soon- Kevin and I are going Sunday out of St. George's Island Landing, if you can sneak away, but no matter what- good to hear from you again- Happy Holidays, Bill
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey Bill, we've never met (perhaps soon on the water) but I wanted to congratulate you from a father to another father. May she be under your protection and guidance. Wish you and your family all the best!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Congrats on the baby Bill. It gets better after the first year and you'll get your fishing time back by then

Comment

Well done Bill. Is the box on her head your way of brainwashing?
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Gal knows how to wear a hat.....just like daddy. 10 am Piney Point Ramp Bill.........just tell the girls your going out to get a loaf of bread.
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Congrats Bill!! She is precious! I was wondering how you were fairing over there! Looks like your doing alright! You'll be back to fishing in no time! Just remember the tips to get out... you gotta pay your dues!

Comment

Nice going Bill.

However, weight vs length as opposed to a striper, I hope you didn't use a lip gripper.

Comment

Congrats on that that healthy Baby, and that is a cool ,unique name hug and love her lots now when she hits 12 or 13 that all ends unless she needs money or something LOL
                            Donny B.
                            OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

Congrats on the new addition Bill. We just had our first back in July and my fishing schedule took a big hit. Since then things smoothed out and most of the time I get to go out on my CWS days. Looking forward to meeting you on the water.
                              -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                              X