Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright, fess up...which one of you was this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, fess up...which one of you was this?

http://www.wtop.com/120/3156330/Coas...-off-Vas-shore

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I heard about that report while driving in my car the other day. I was wonderng who those unlucky souls could be.......no names mentioned for the kayakers of shame.
    Everyone be careful out there. Everyone needs to practice re-entry especially in colder water. I was out early this morning with a friend in a boat trolling - used an air horn to alert another boater of kayakers near the pilings on eastern side of Bay Bridge. I don't think the other boater saw them. My kids were practicing re-entry last week ...... if you're not comfortable doing re-entries in the cold water, you probably shouldn't be on the water.

Anyone get any keepers on the last day of striper season ?

Comment

'T'weren't me
      Ican't evn spell Kiptopeke let alone afford to travel there

Good thing the Coast Guard was nearby and the story has decent ending

Comment

I always wonder whats the actual percentage of people that are unable to reenter their kayak. One thing I aimed for in rigging was to make sure my cockpit area is always clear in case of re-entry. In cold water, ain't no time for moving stuff around to try to get back in the yak.

Anyway...glad the story ended ok for these guys. I've never turtled while fishing, but I can imagine its one of those things we all try to prepare for, but when it happens, its still more of an "oh sh*t" reaction than we anticipate.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

How many folks have ever turtled, period? I have not, but I have only been kayaking for two years and maybe 100 or so fishing trips...been in some nasty rough waters and had boat wakes nearly knock me out of the yak hitting me in the chest, but lucky so far- I am constantly mindful of keeping my head in the center of the yak- I never lean out
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly
            IMHO, re-entering a yak is a basic skill we should all practice.
            To that end is there a time or event when members get together and practice re-entry? I would be interested in something like that rather than practicing on my own with no one else to help if, God Forbid, something goes wrong during the practice.

Perhaps a M&G with re-entry practice?
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Mustafa, Joe and I have been talking about doing something like this in the future. I doubt people want to practice in cold water (even though they should) so we'll try to get something going when it warms back up. Cold water can be disorienting so it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice if you have a chance.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Mustafa, Joe and I have been talking about doing something like this in the future. I doubt people want to practice in cold water (even though they should) so we'll try to get something going when it warms back up. Cold water can be disorienting so it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice if you have a chance.
                I would definitely be interested! In fact if you guys want to do it in cold water sometime I would also be interested
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

My first kayak was a Hobie outback. I Turtled the first time out when I was hit broadside by a boat wake. I was not able to get back into the yak and had to swim it to shore about a half-mile. I lost two fishing rods and a fully loaded tackle box. Being totally pissed off, I sold it on tidal fish the very next day for a huge loss. It took me three years before I decided to get back into kayak fishing. The first thing I did was to rig up a rescue ladder that I leave permanently attached to the side. The rig allows me to flip the boat over unassisted and to easily climb back in. I also bought the most stable kayak I could find which was a Pro Angler 14. I have used this boat forty or fifty times so far and feel completely comfortable with its stability. I had initially planned on buying stabilizer bars/pontoons, but really do not believe it is necessary now.

Comment

Wow- Russ- what a first outing experience- it is a wonder you ever tried again-my first yak fishing trip was in an OK Prowler 13 then I upgraded to the Outback which I consider nearly unable to turtle- I watched Sammon's fishing videos a lot before I ever bought my first kayak and one thing really stuck with me that he said about not turtling in a kayak- "keep your head in the center of the kayak, where your head goes the rest of your body follows..." I have about a hundred fishing trips under my belt and knock on wood, I have not turtled yet- I know everyone says it will happen and I guess it will someday, but I am always mindful of that risk and careful keep my movements from doing that- in a lot of pictures you will see me sitting side saddle in the yak instead of turning around reaching behind me- only reason I do that is to keep the center of gravity inside the Outback- I have a lot of money invested in tackle and gear and don't want to lose any of it-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've tried to fall out on purpose...to the point where the water was just about level with the gunwales on the kayak. Seems like there needs to be a couple of things happening at once to just fall out/flip.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        I've tried to fall out on purpose...to the point where the water was just about level with the gunwales on the kayak. Seems like there needs to be a couple of things happening at once to just fall out/flip.
                        Old, fat and out of shape is all you need. Gravity then takes over!!!!

Comment

Much of my kayak fishing is in shallow waters along shorelines. My biggest potential for capsizing is not being knocked over by a wave or wake in open water. Instead, it is having the kayak get stuck on top of a submerged log or rock. Then the kayak is no longer supported by the water over its full length -- it becomes top heavy and unstable. Every month or so, I find myself in a temporarily stuck position and feel much more tippy for a few seconds until I can back off of the obstruction and get full water support again It is an uncomfortable feeling (something like sitting in your kayak on dry land and trying to keep from leaning).

I agree with Ron that positioning ourselves and shifting weight can contribute to tipping or not tipping. Keep your center of balance low and try to keep your weight toward the center line. This is one reason that I am not a fan of having most of my gear stored in a crate behind the seat. Having to turn around (and as russ498 says -- those of us who are older, heavier, and less fit than the younger members are more susceptible) and make an awkward reach creates more opportunities for getting unbalanced. The only thing I carry behind my seat on most trips is a padded 6-pack cooler with several tackle trays. I can reach it easily without turning my head or upper body.

If I am in open water (like the Severn River on a busy weekend) I often encounter 2 to 3 ft wakes. My strategy is to turn into the wake, lean forward in line with my hull to keep my weight low, and put my paddle out to the sides and low to the water to serve like outriggers (that is one advantage that paddle-driven kayaks offer). I may get some water over the bow, but that is what scupper holes are for.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I agree with russ Im a big guy and the first kayak I paddled in was a 10 foot ocean kayak and every wave was an invitation to turtle I think I spent more time getting back in it than paddling the second yak was a ocean kayak 12 footer the skinny short guy who owned it said it was almost imposible to turtle and I proved that wrong immediatly so I finnally settled on my barge malibu xfactor being 6'5" and 300 + I not only sit up pretty high but I am also top heavy so it takes more boat to be stable not saying it wont happen in my malibu but it gonna take a hell of a wave or me getting my head way out of center the smaller guys dont realize how much weightmakes a difference . The only good part is its easy for me to get back in Though I did take russ advice and made a ladder to help when in cold gear just to be safe its amazing how cold water zaps your strength fast anyone who hasnt tried to function in cold water should try it in a controled enviroment you might not be as safe as you once thought
                            D Hawk
                            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

were these 2 guys together? why would you leave your buddy in the water? very bad! if they were solo, bad also in cold weather, better know how to re-enter your yak.

we should have a get together to teach and learn good re-entry practices

Comment

Working...
                              X