Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - how long can you safely keep fillets in the fridge before cooking them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - how long can you safely keep fillets in the fridge before cooking them?

For the sake of arguments, let's say that you catch some perch and fillet them the same day. You then put them in a zip lock back and place them in the fridge. How long can they stay in the zip lock back and be good to cook? 3 days? 5 days 7 days? 10 days? When should you just give up on them and through them out? Inquiring minds would like to know....

For me, 3 days is usually as long as they go. I have found patting them dry and removing the fat (red) keeps them fresher so they last another day or so.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I donm't know about fridge, but freezing has limits too. Generally 6 months is the most u can freeze a fish without the quality deteriorating. Less in frost=free freezers (and some fish should not be frozen at all--mackeral, bluefish, herring and other very oily fish).
      Vacuum sealing can make a big difference. I can attest to eating a halibut filet I lost at the bottom of my freezer after 2 years. We vacuum packed it at the local fish market within hours of catching it and it had been "bled" on the boat. It was in PERFECT condition and so delicious. Foodsaver advertises that sealed fish lasts quite awhile http://www.foodsaver.com/fishing.aspx and we have had good experience with sea bass, snapper, ling cod and halibut this way. I have vacuum packed salmon, but I have never been able to wait more than a week to eat it.
      Last edited by kevinfry; 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You know what they say, "fish and company stink after 3 days"

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I freeze just about all of the fish that I catch unless Im really wanting for some fresh fish. I just put them in a ziplock pack and squeeze out as much air as possible. Generally I put them in the fridge in water for a couple of days and then freeze. I've left them in the fridge in water for up to a week and theyre still good.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

If I plan on eating the fish, I give it 3 days in the fridge in a regular zip lock bag with most of the air squeezed out.

Freezing on the other hand with a vacuum sealer...if I can find it in the freezer (not matter how long)...its fair game!! Shoot, I might fry up some catfish from bushwood on christmas eve.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I use a vacuum sealer religiously. One of the secrets is to leave a little bit of water in the container. A teaspoon is plenty. I tried to eat the fish within six months but have had it after a year and it is just about as good as fresh. It is a worthwhile investment. I use it for all types of things besides fresh fish. It keeps me from throwing away all types of grocery store meats that I forget about.

Comment

Working...
              X