susky flats question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susky flats question

Hey guys ive fished lapadum/deer creek area but never fished the flats. My bud from work just got a kayak and was thinkin about trying there this spring. Is there an easy place to drop in boat ramp etc? Is it safe to kayak there? I kno by lapadum where i shad fish that waters usually rushin. Ive only seen one kayaker there and he was hangin very close to this island thing that was out in front of me. What would be the besttime to fish the flats im guessin spring? And rock and shad mainly in there also? Any info is appreciated thanks.

Do a search on the board and you should come up with quite a bit of info. Spring is when the cow's come in and is the most popular time to hit the flats. Just watch the weather and you should be fine there. As for the Susqy upstream from the flats. You'll need to pay attention to how much water they are releasing from the damn, how many units they have running. From what people have posted, 2 units you are ok, more than that can be a problem but someone else will have to verify.

Comment

There is a ramp for kayaks and canoes located in Furnace Bay.
      http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
      484-459-9863
      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
        Do a search on the board and you should come up with quite a bit of info. Spring is when the cow's come in and is the most popular time to hit the flats. Just watch the weather and you should be fine there. As for the Susqy upstream from the flats. You'll need to pay attention to how much water they are releasing from the damn, how many units they have running. From what people have posted, 2 units you are ok, more than that can be a problem but someone else will have to verify.
        If you launch from fisherman's park right below the dam 2 units is pretty much the maximum for safety. You can launch further down river at deer Creek or rock run mill with more running though. I haven't figured out a max for there yet as I'm pretty new myself. And as doc said, perryville park at furnace bay has a nice free launch. There are also two launches in havre de grace.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

A lot depends on the amount of kayak experience your friend from work has. If he is a brand-newbie to kayaking then the Flats is certainly not the place to start out, especially when water temps are in the 50Fs.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/harford.asp

Check out the following MD-DNR site to find a launch site near the Flats. Click on Harford County then click on the Havre de Grace Inset. Many here launch at the City Yacht Basin. Its free to canoes/kayaks. Some also launch at Perryville Community Park, also free, cartop only. Click on Cecil County to see the details on this launch.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thanks man. Yeah its prob his first time or so. He fishes all the time and has been dyin for a kayak and finally got one. Ive been in some chop on some horrible days outta downs park and some wind plus boat wake on the severn. 2 to 3 fters easy the 1 day with my buddy zach and my crazy self fished the edge of the piers still catchin fish lol. Im guessin id be ok fishing there on the flats? And thats above or below the dam? Just wanna make sure its safe especially bringin on a noobie lol

Comment

Originally posted by c-villefisherr408 View Post
              Thanks man. Yeah its prob his first time or so. He fishes all the time and has been dyin for a kayak and finally got one. Ive been in some chop on some horrible days outta downs park and some wind plus boat wake on the severn. 2 to 3 fters easy the 1 day with my buddy zach and my crazy self fished the edge of the piers still catchin fish lol. Im guessin id be ok fishing there on the flats? And thats above or below the dam? Just wanna make sure its safe especially bringin on a noobie lol
              The Flats are below the Dam, most people launch in either Perryville or Havre De Grace. If you can have fished 2-3 footers there you will be ok on the Flats, just watch the forecast and tides. Also watch the boat traffic during the spring Striper season, the area is very crowded with boats so you have to keep your eyes open. Not to mention Bass Boats are flying around there almost year around.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
              X