Looking for some insight from the experienced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some insight from the experienced

Hey guys, I'm Dan. New to kayak fishing and this forum. A lot of videos on youtube about kayak fishing always refer to MKF. For a while I wondered what that was and finally I've figured it out. Nice to meet all of you. Reading all sorts of threads here and it's amazing how much information everyone puts out.

I've loved fishing ever since I was young and I've always wanted a boat. Since I'm a college student, I'm obviously too broke for a 24' center console, so I opted for a kayak. After looking around at retailers for a fishing kayak, I thought of an idea to build my own. I would mainly be fishing on lakes/ponds/rivers, so at first I wasn't too worried about fishing in the bay. This kayak that I am building is 12' long and has a center width(beam) of around 32''. It's all wood. I've gotten decently far on it. I just epoxied the whole inside of it to keep as much moisture out of the wood. Next step would be to install the front and rear decks.

My question is that, being a sit-in kayak with an open seating area and a flat bottom(I'll put up photos), is it possible to fish the bay bridge and susquehanna flats areas?

I've heard a lot of sit-in kayakers use spray skirts to prevent water from entering the cockpit area. The way my kayak is designed, the 2 ribs of the boat close off the center/seating area from the front and rear sections. The ribs are about 3'' in height, so if water were to come over the sides, I could potentially bail the water out without worrying about water reaching the front and rear sections.

Do I need a spray skirt for fishing in the bay?

My thinking is that as long as I go on a calm day, with little to no waves, I wouldn't have to worry about water spraying into the boat. Of course it's inevitable, so small amounts of water is fine, I'm just worried about sinking

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    These are the plans I based my kayak off of: http://spirainternational.com/HuntingtonHarborPlans.pdf

Photo of the bottom (Before fiberglassing):

I don't have a decent photo of a top view yet, but it will look similar to this:
    http://spirainternational.com/boatpi...ngton_16-2.jpg
    Attached Files
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Well ......... first I would start with ponds and small lakes to see how it will handle then and only then would I attempt to do the bay or even rivers. You may want to put in some flotation foam. If you are at all concerned with sinking then I wouldn't go. The yaks that we use are fully enclosed and don't sink easily and most have at least some flotation built in. That said ..... looks like you did a great job building it.

Comment

Very cool I to am new to kayak fishing and have yet to use my Trident 13 (plan on heading out tomorrow) but as for the Bay Bridge i'm guessing it all comes down to how well the kayak breaks the waves and its stability in addition investing in a bilge could prove to be helpful, I found one on amazon for 19 dollars. As for the spray skirt it seems like it would make storing things inside the a bit hard (i.e bait, tools, etc.) although I'm not sure if you were planning on mounting a milk crate or something on the deck. Lastly you said you were more worried about the kayak sinking than taking in water so I think a float bag would be the best way to go although there is no reason you couldn't use both the skirt and bag, but looking at the link you posted it seems kinda hard to install a skirt.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        Well ......... first I would start with ponds and small lakes to see how it will handle then and only then would I attempt to do the bay or even rivers. You may want to put in some flotation foam. If you are at all concerned with sinking then I wouldn't go. The yaks that we use are fully enclosed and don't sink easily and most have at least some flotation built in. That said ..... looks like you did a great job building it.
        Yea, I'm definitely going to test it in a small pond. I guess it really comes out to testing it in the waters first to see it's limits. I forgot to mention I was going to load the front and rear sections with as much pool noodle as I could. Thanks

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
        Very cool I to am new to kayak fishing and have yet to use my Trident 13 (plan on heading out tomorrow) but as for the Bay Bridge i'm guessing it all comes down to how well the kayak breaks the waves and its stability in addition investing in a bilge could prove to be helpful, I found one on amazon for 19 dollars. As for the spray skirt it seems like it would make storing things inside the a bit hard (i.e bait, tools, etc.) although I'm not sure if you were planning on mounting a milk crate or something on the deck. Lastly you said you were more worried about the kayak sinking than taking in water so I think a float bag would be the best way to go although there is no reason you couldn't use both the skirt and bag, but looking at the link you posted it seems kinda hard to install a skirt.
        The front deck will just have a bungee kit going across and the rear deck will have a section for a milk crate and more to be bungeed down. I definitely don't want to use a spray skirt, for the reasons you stated (limits storage/hard to install).

I guess what I'm really asking is, are there kayakers that use sit-in kayaks without the skirt on the bay?
        Daniel Kwon

Comment

Hmm... haven't heard of anyone using an sit-inside kayak at the bay. I mainly see people using the Hobie kayaks with the pedal drive. The problem I see with a sit-inside is that it is not self-bailing and if you capsize it would be more difficult to re-board and without a fishing buddy could prove problematic. I guess it would be possible seeing as the yak would be pretty stable b/c of how wide it is but even with a self-bailing kayak you should fish with a buddy(s) when at the Bay regardless (or so I have been told). So look around on the forums....If someone else with more experience at the CBBT could give you some pointers it would be more beneficial seeing as I have not gone to the Bay yet and going by what I have gathered around the forums. So keep asking questions and eventually someone will answer.

Comment

I have a bass pro shops acend sit in kayak and I love it. It is very stable and was only like 400 dollars (I think) .I spent all the money I ever had on it about 4 years ago and I'm only 15 so it was a lot of money. I think you should save your money and just shore fish until you have enough money to buy one that will last you like a hobie. That's what I wish I did.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
              I have a bass pro shops acend sit in kayak and I love it. It is very stable and was only like 400 dollars (I think) .I spent all the money I ever had on it about 4 years ago and I'm only 15 so it was a lot of money. I think you should save your money and just shore fish until you have enough money to buy one that will last you like a hobie. That's what I wish I did.
              Well, I know I'll probably end up buying a sot kayak, but for now since I've already started building my wooden one, I'm hoping use it to it's fullest. But like Memory Maker said, I should test it once I finish and see what it's capable of. Nice to know you have a sot. Do you take it out anywhere on the bay? If so, where?
              Daniel Kwon

Comment

Nice job so far. I have seen sit inside kayaks at the bridge without spray skirts. After you do some test runs and become confident with the kayak, then give the bridge a try. Then go to the bridge on a calm day. Don't forget to get a paddle float and all the gear you will need to get back into the kayak should you turtle. You will need a hand operated bilge pump. There is a kayak version available at West Marine. Any sit inside kayak should have one.

How much free board do you expect to have once inside the kayak? If you are very low to the water with a somewhat flush deck, then the spray skirt might be a good idea. They are adjustable, so access to the inside is still possible, with some effort.

Good Luck.

Comment

Welcome and thats some nice wood work! As for SinK's at the BB its all about picking your days. I started with a Ascend FS10 and fished the bridge, Lewes De and a ton of other places with it without ever using a spray skirt. Once the wind started blowing over 10-15 mph it would get to be a damp ride but nothing too serious.

Like others have mentioned, safety would be the first priority. You definitely want some sort of closed cell foam inserts securely attached to the inside of the hull in case you get swamped or turtle so it won't sink entirely. A bilge pump and a sponge to get the smaller amounts of water along with a life jacket would be good ideas. Depending on the angles of your bow, a ridge along the cockpit to direct water to the sides will help more than you might think as well.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Comment

The design you have is very similar to a pirogue like used in the marshes in the south. If there is no waves and you can steer clear of sizable wakes yes, you could take it on the flats. You can get out of the flats away from the channel and boats don't zip through fast too much. As long as the wind is low! I would take it in creeks, near shore stuff like that but not too much on the open bay.

The square chines on the hull make it stable. great for duck hunting, fishing in flat water, but they do not take waves and chops very well. Like a Jon boat vs a V hull. Just stay out of rough water and you will love the hull design. 3' wide and 10' long could be a tad slower, but not too bad. If you make a boat for rougher water read up on rounded chines and with a sink you can even make a riser like layout boats use around the cockpit to deflect waves. They make them where they lay flat and you raise them up when it gets rough.

It looks good so far, keep going an posting pictures.
                    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

You might want to consider getting a used SOT ........ it will probably be cheaper and safer for the bay than the 1 you are building. Transporting the 1 you've built will also be a concern. Wood is really heavy compared to the plastics so car topping may be a problem. if it is light enough, then it is probably not sturdy enough to handle the pounding you will get on the bay .......... also the sides look fairly high which is good for flotation etc but it makes it very difficult to handle with wind. I would estimate that you still have a couple hundred more to finish it especially when you add the paddle and other stuff. THat money might be better spent on a used SOT. I sold 1 last year with a great paddle and a rudder for either $400 0r $500.

What you have looks really good ......... just not sure you will be happy with it if you plan to use it on the bay. You'll probably do what I do all the time .......... spend double money and time because I tried to save a little money and making do. I always go back and buy what I wanted in the first place later and end up wasting the time and money I spent on the make do. You can pick up SOT's that you can use on the bay for $300 and up. You will probably end up with a Hobie like many of the guys have after awhile if you get into it.

Also, please don't think a kayak is a poor man's center console. I have all kinds of boats and they all have their place. I like my Hobie Pro Anglers and they cost more than my center console when rigged. The yak will get you into places you can't go with the Center Console but the CC will handle bigger water and give you more range. For me ..... it's more fun to catch from a yak ..........

Comment

That is going to be a great kayak. Hats off to the hard work you have put into it. I always wanted to build a boat but my carpentry skills are less than adequate.

I second the concern with the flat bottom. Great in calm waters but not a good idea in open choppy waters. The water around the bay bridge gets like a washing machine sometimes with all the boat traffic. waves comming in at unexpecting angles etc...

I would also think a boat with that flat wide hull would also be a chore to flip back over if the worst case scenario of a turtle occurs.

You would also need to make sure it will track well in current and wind or paddling away from a sudden summer storm might get dicey.

Keep us updated on the progress of the build.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                          Nice job so far. I have seen sit inside kayaks at the bridge without spray skirts. After you do some test runs and become confident with the kayak, then give the bridge a try. Then go to the bridge on a calm day. Don't forget to get a paddle float and all the gear you will need to get back into the kayak should you turtle. You will need a hand operated bilge pump. There is a kayak version available at West Marine. Any sit inside kayak should have one.

How much free board do you expect to have once inside the kayak? If you are very low to the water with a somewhat flush deck, then the spray skirt might be a good idea. They are adjustable, so access to the inside is still possible, with some effort.

Good Luck.
                          Definitely think I'll stick to calmer freshwaters and after some experience, maybe I'll give it a test out in protected salt water areas.

I'm not sure what you mean by "free board". I think you are referring to areas that are not covered by a deck (seating area). In that case, there would be about a 32'' x 3' opening in the center for 2 people.

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                          Welcome and thats some nice wood work! As for SinK's at the BB its all about picking your days. I started with a Ascend FS10 and fished the bridge, Lewes De and a ton of other places with it without ever using a spray skirt. Once the wind started blowing over 10-15 mph it would get to be a damp ride but nothing too serious.

Like others have mentioned, safety would be the first priority. You definitely want some sort of closed cell foam inserts securely attached to the inside of the hull in case you get swamped or turtle so it won't sink entirely. A bilge pump and a sponge to get the smaller amounts of water along with a life jacket would be good ideas. Depending on the angles of your bow, a ridge along the cockpit to direct water to the sides will help more than you might think as well.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!
                          Wow! It's nice to hear you don't use a spray skirt. Definitely going to choose my days carefully, thanks for your post.

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                          The design you have is very similar to a pirogue like used in the marshes in the south. If there is no waves and you can steer clear of sizable wakes yes, you could take it on the flats. You can get out of the flats away from the channel and boats don't zip through fast too much. As long as the wind is low! I would take it in creeks, near shore stuff like that but not too much on the open bay.

The square chines on the hull make it stable. great for duck hunting, fishing in flat water, but they do not take waves and chops very well. Like a Jon boat vs a V hull. Just stay out of rough water and you will love the hull design. 3' wide and 10' long could be a tad slower, but not too bad. If you make a boat for rougher water read up on rounded chines and with a sink you can even make a riser like layout boats use around the cockpit to deflect waves. They make them where they lay flat and you raise them up when it gets rough.

It looks good so far, keep going an posting pictures.
                          Because this is my first time ever building anything bigger than a chair, I opted to go for a square chine since it looked easier to build and put together. I definitely am thinking of adding some sort of "riser" on the front deck , probably just a small lip to deflect water. Thank you for your advice!

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          You might want to consider getting a used SOT ........ it will probably be cheaper and safer for the bay than the 1 you are building. Transporting the 1 you've built will also be a concern. Wood is really heavy compared to the plastics so car topping may be a problem. if it is light enough, then it is probably not sturdy enough to handle the pounding you will get on the bay .......... also the sides look fairly high which is good for flotation etc but it makes it very difficult to handle with wind. I would estimate that you still have a couple hundred more to finish it especially when you add the paddle and other stuff. THat money might be better spent on a used SOT. I sold 1 last year with a great paddle and a rudder for either $400 0r $500.

What you have looks really good ......... just not sure you will be happy with it if you plan to use it on the bay. You'll probably do what I do all the time .......... spend double money and time because I tried to save a little money and making do. I always go back and buy what I wanted in the first place later and end up wasting the time and money I spent on the make do. You can pick up SOT's that you can use on the bay for $300 and up. You will probably end up with a Hobie like many of the guys have after awhile if you get into it.

Also, please don't think a kayak is a poor man's center console. I have all kinds of boats and they all have their place. I like my Hobie Pro Anglers and they cost more than my center console when rigged. The yak will get you into places you can't go with the Center Console but the CC will handle bigger water and give you more range. For me ..... it's more fun to catch from a yak ..........
                          First of all, I meant no harm when I said I opted for a kayak because I couldn't afford a center console. I definitely enjoy kayaking/canoeing even though I've only gone a few times. And I'm sure I'll continue enjoying it. Kayaking has a deeper connection to appreciating nature for me.

I read and re-read what you said and I'd have to completely agree with your post. In the beginning when I chose to build a kayak, I thought it would be saving me money. Being part way through my build, I have realized that there isn't going to be much "saved money" if at all once I am finished. Definitely turned around on me. When I told my uncle what I was building, the first thing he told me was "These types of projects are just money pits." I didn't understand it at the time, but now I definitely do.

I've come to realize that my wooden kayak is more of a winter project and a step into the boat building world. In the end, if it doesn't meet all my expectations for fishing, I know I'll be disappointed and maybe I'll regret spending X amounts of money on building it. But, I enjoy building and it's something to spend my free time on.

After some time on my wooden kayak, I know I will end up buying a sot kayak and join everyone else on the bay. For now, I'll keep updating this thread with photos of my build.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and opinions! It is much appreciated!
                          Daniel Kwon

Comment

Oh one last thing look used if you ever plan on getting a SOT kayak I just recently bought a Trident 13 (2012 Model) for $640 (40% off)

Comment

Keep posting pics on how your building is going, and post how you think it handles when it makes it's mainden voyage.

Comment

Working...
                              X