GoPro2 digital camera...amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro2 digital camera...amazing

i got one of these cameras from my wife and took it out for the first time this past weekend...unfortunately we were snow skiing not fishing, but the quality of the video is amazing. i recommend the product and cant wait to use it fishing.
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

I got one in October for my Birthday... You could say I self gifted it... I have hrs of video and trying to learn how to post it, but I have to have video of me actually catching fish on it first...I use the chest harness but you can mount the thing practically anywhere on anything...Enjoy
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Congratulations!
      You just entered the world of one-man kayak-fishing video production

Here is something I learned. I want share with you and others who may be interested in one-man kayak-fishing video production. I put stuff randomly below:

One-man kayak-fishing video production companies come and go, or inactive. It is difficult to maintain the one-man kayak-fishing video production. Unlike other activities, such as, snow-boarding, there is no fixed start time of actions in fishing. In kayak-fising, we don't know when the actions start. And worst of all your both hands are used for fighting the fish

You are the only producer, director, script writer, camera crew, and equipment crew

You are the main character regardless appearance of your face on the video

Fish are major supporting characters. Perhaps fish are more important than the main character.

You have to catch fish. Or bring Redfish12 with you. He will catch fish – this case, you have an additional main character and you will have the major supporting character, guaranteed

Location of the camera (where/how to mount the camera) is very important. You can point and shoot with the rigidly-fixed camera. Your major supporting characters (fish) and an alternate main character can be everywhere.

Eventually, the script writer and the main character (angler) will have the same fishing plan. This is fundamentally important because the story line and the fishing plan on the water are virtually the same

To me, sticking with story line improves the catching department because I am actually sticking with my fishing plan

For me, 20% of fish got away while preparing the video. Sometimes the one got away was the only fish I hooked that day

Eventually, you need set the theme or purpose prior to each fishing trip. In my case all my videos are my fishing log

Three second rules (My own rule) – start video at least 3 seconds before the action and stop the video 3 seconds after the action is over. This is important because you need to trim off the beginning and ending parts of the each video when editing.

If the camera is not fixed, move hands or head very slowly. Otherwise, the video looks like someone was fishing during an earthquake. The video of my Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 is blurry when the camera is moving fast.

As an equipment manager, I carry three batteries. Each can go about 30 minute when it is new. I just ordered one more camera (Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 – the same one I have currently) and two additional batteries. The two batteries went bad during the last two trips. And the current camera is somewhat acting strange.

Also keep some clean rags to clean the camera lens often (Some fish splash. Or in the rain)

All batteries will go bad sooner or later. I found that all non-OEM batteries I used for Nikon and Olympus were cheaper than the OEM but quality was better

Cameras go bad after a certain number of uses. For past 4 years, two Nikon and one Olympus went bad, due to user errors mainly. The current Nikon and Olympus are acting up sometimes. I went through many batteries

I mounted my camera on a helmet with Styrofoam inside. This makes my camera float. And this also helped me find the helmet on the water every time

Both GoPro and Olympus are shock proof. I dropped my camera on the concrete surface many times.

I can make 25 (average) videos for Youtube out of 60-70 kayak fishing trips about a year.
      The most of the freshwater trips in summer are very similar. So making 3 videos every week is very hard for me. Some cases I didn’t catch fish at all or caught a few. Sometimes the quality of the videos was very bad. Sometimes memory card was full. Sometimes I messed up the start and stop sequences of videos.

Anyway,
      I am waiting for your first video

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I did my first experimental video for YouTube last summer following the July M&G. It turned out pretty well. This year I intend to do more fishing and more video. I must agree the GoPro is a great product.

I have two Hero2 camera, only used a few times, that I will sell for $100 each. PM me if you are interested. I am off to the Hero 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
          I did my first experimental video for YouTube last summer following the July M&G. It turned out pretty well. This year I intend to do more fishing and more video. I must agree the GoPro is a great product.

I have two Hero2 camera, only used a few times, that I will sell for $100 each. PM me if you are interested. I am off to the Hero 3.
          don- i have been wanting to get a gopro .currently i use my ipad for filming fishing and longboardng and its not to smart because it could break,i refuse to take it on the boat or yak just out of fear of dropping it,i would like a gopro though, i might go in to west marine sometime this week and ill talk about it

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly
            I would like to see the photo quality of a single frame captured from the GoPro2 video.

*it's my experience that shooting video can compromise the enjoyment of the fishing. at the same time, i'm glad that i've captured some video here and there.
            to capture a still image from the video does compromise the image some and also isn't as large as normal picture. But the Go pro is great as it has the picture setting that can take a high quality picture after like a 4 second countdown or it can take a picture every second.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
              don- i have been wanting to get a gopro .currently i use my ipad for filming fishing and longboardng and its not to smart because it could break,i refuse to take it on the boat or yak just out of fear of dropping it,i would like a gopro though, i might go in to west marine sometime this week and ill talk about it

Ok.

Comment

Got a GoPro2 from my wife too.......I'm not sure I want to loose focus of fighting the fish as well as loose 20% of hooked fish because of all the futtin' around with the video camera.

Thanks for tips, Joe.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I got a GoPro Hero about a year ago- same experience as Joe- lost a couple of fish farting around with the camera-camera sits at home now and I carry a Nikon AW100 just to document the catch.... after the catch-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

this camera is a win-win for me...i no longer have to worry about dropping my cell phone trying to take a pic of a fish...The QUALITY of the video this little camera shot was really impressive, even thru the plastic environmental case. not sure why so many had trouble operating the camera?? i used the camera this weekend while snow skiing, utilizing the head strap feature...all you have to do is reach up and press one button...i was amazed at how well the field of view works, capturing everything i would have wanted without even knowing where it was pointed other than looking in the general direction. im not looking to win any academy awards with the videos i shoot so if my catch isnt perfectly filmed no prob. I have a Jackson tandem kayak so i am really looking to get some footage of my daughter fishing/catching from the front seat.
                    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

i have made two screen captures, using PAINT of the videos i shot...hopefully i can attach them
                      Attached Files
                      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

no problem, the actual video is very clear...to get these images, i paused the video, did a screen capture, pasted them into PAINT and "saved as" a jpeg...someone with real A/V equipment could probably pull something straight out of a digital video. if i can edit\capture a portion of the video i will post it..the whole video is tooooo many megs.
                        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I really like the Hero3 black edition, 1080p and 60fps... It's about 2x as much as the earlier models though.
                          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I downloaded a program from the internet...Square 5's MPEG Streamclip...i barely read the pdf "manual" and was doing some elementary editing in no time and Im no genius. You may find it helpful...it was free. They do have some disclaimer about not being Youtube compatible but i dont video with that in mind so i was not concerned.
                            Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Just as an FYI You can take great screenshots using VLC Player, it works Great!! And no need for cropping. LOL Also, I had the issue with missing good shots by fooling with my camera(Contour GPS) while trying to catch fish. I just alleviated that by adding an external battery and a bigger Micro SD Card with a 32 GB card I can run my camera for about 7 hrs continuously. I just hit record and let it be... I'm not "usually" on the water that long, but if I do I can just hit record when I get to the fishing ground versus at the launch.

Comment

Working...
                              X