Fishing Plans this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Plans this weekend

Ok lets hear it. Who's going where this weekend and what are you targeting.

Ill go first

I plan of trying St Jerome's creek on Sunday. I have never been there but thanks to reports both hear and on other sites i have an idea of what to target. I will only bring artificial's with me (and Fish bites, does that count ) and will concentrate on the inlet and surrounding channels. I have jigs, cranks and some new larger spinner arms i made last night (Similar to a beetle spin) to give a whirl.

If the wind has died down enough i will try my luck trolling out in the bay towards the lighthouse with a crank and parachute rig in the deeper water. might throw a tandem bucktail in the mix.

If all that fails i will try to catch a couple spot and LL the inlet.

I'm jealous! I'm hoping to make it down to St Jerome's soon.

My weekend plan is heading back to Blacksburg for the homecoming game and doing a little fly-fishing Sunday morning if the weather hold up. Haven't caught a trout since last spring and that's all I used to fish for... Let's see if I remember how. Can you live-line spot for trout?
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Been scouting out some locations on the South River on google earth, and my nautical chart app. I found a ramp for a possible launch site, so I'm gonna see if its doable.

The target is just white perch. I might try my hand at trolling some lures as well.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

The new guy at work as a boat (and a yak). Depending on his schedule, I might show him around the area but haven't decided where yet. Piney Point, PLO, the Patuxent, and St. Jerome's are all options. The tides/currents aren't too favorable for the evening bite.

If I'm on my own, I've been thinking of hitting some spots around PLO Sunday evening for redfish and a few topwater spots for stripers, depending on the wind. If the wind is howling or it's rough, Jutland/Smith Creek (near PLO) might be an option for perch and maybe some smaller reds. There are a couple alternative launch locations around Piney Point/St. George's Island that I've been wanting to check out, too. Stupid work keeps getting in the way of some great fishing.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Camping and surf fishing at Assateague State Park.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs...forecast.shtml Gonna have to hold on to my hat!

Watch out for the wind, guys. Sunday may be the best day in a yak. Fishing from shore on the western side of the bay you'll be able to cast a mile!!

Comment

Redfish--flyfishing for trout sounds really good. Little Stoney by the Cascades is one of my all time favorite trout streams. I didn't flyfish until after I graduated, but I always try to hit Little Stoney whenever I'm in the area.

John--with 25kt winds, you might be holding onto more than your hat. What kind of tent stakes do you use for the sand?
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Are Reds now in PLO?

I'm debating on St Jerome or BB this Saturday. If all I can target is striper, then BB it is for the shorter drive.

Comment

Bill, that's the plan right now, hike Little Stoney and catch some brookies on my 3 weight... back up is a quick hit on big stoney. We'll see.

I fly fished a lot down there and the rest of the time I was smallmouth bass fishing in the new. Lots of good water down there.

Good luck with the drum!
                Used to fish more.

Comment

Redfish--I wish I spent more time fishing when I was at Tech, but I didn't learn how to fish streams and rivers until my senior year. Believe it or not, I never caught anything out of the New, but I only fished from shore along the road the tubers use.

HokieDJ--There should be drum at PLO, but I don't have any positive reports yet. This week 2 years ago, I caught several in the 15-16" range there, and some guys on Tidalfish got a bunch there, too, at the same time. I didn't have any hits at all fishing for redfish at St. Jeromes, and I put ~2hrs into it.

You might get lucky with flounder at either place because I've heard they're being caught in nearby pound nets, but I don't know how much of a long shot that is. I had a couple strikes that I think were flounder at St. Jeromes last weekend, but that was only in one spot and nowhere else I tried. Usually, if they're there, they're easy to find. That hasn't been the case this year.

They're calling for 20kt+ winds and 2-4ft waves here on Saturday. I'm not sure if the BB would be fishable. You might want to check out the wind and wave readings at buoybay.org before you head anywhere. Just my $0.02.
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

im gonna be hitting up the bay bridge....gonna try some livelining and trolling
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Camping this weekend in Harrisonburg, so fishing for Brookies on that mountain Lake, Skidmore Reservoir

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        John--with 25kt winds, you might be holding onto more than your hat.
                        Typical October! I've got a story about venturing offshore before the blow. And then the blow came a lot earlier than we expected...

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        What kind of tent stakes do you use for the sand?
                        15 inchers!! Aluminum!

Comment

what and where is PLO??
                          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                            what and where is PLO??
                            Point Lookout

Comment

Meh...conditions don't look to favorable for a n00b. Might have to postpone
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X