Hello from the new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the new guy

I just wanted to take a moment to say hey and introduce myself. I was turned on to this site by a current member, Memory Maker, he let me know about the M&G this Saturday and I'm going to do my best to make it up to Arundel Mills. I'm so new to the sport that I don't even have a kayak yet, but my plan is to have it by late April/May. My budget is a little tight so I had been doing a little online research in order to get the best deal. I decided I was either gonna go with an OK Scrambler, or find a good deal on a used boat on Craigslist. I was checking Craigslist every day and finally found this guy who's a wholesaler for Cobra Kayaks. I did some looking into the Cobra brand and decided to go with the Navigator Fish. It was a little more than the Scrambler, but what sealed the deal was this guy would allow me to put it on lay a way. With a wife and four kids it was gonna be a lot easier to come up with a little money every couple of weeks than to come up with the lump sum all at once. If anyone has paddled a Navigator I would love to hear your thoughts.
    I got into fishing back in '92 when I moved to Va. Beach to attend culinary school. I met a friend who grew up in the area and was an avid fisherman. After a while he showed me a few of his secret spots and I was hooked. We fished mostly fresh water from the shore for lg mouth an chain pickerel. We did a lot of speckled trout fishing in the fall in a couple of spots where you could slay em from the bank. When I moved back up to MD in '96 I was disappointed at my options for fresh water fishing, and since I didn't have a boat, fishing in the Bay was limited. I did have quite a few good fall seasons fishing for stripers under the Kent Narrows bridge at night with my largest fish measuring 33 inches. Soooo, I got to talking with my brother in law at Thanksgiving. He had just got stationed down in Va Beach. He said he was looking into getting a fishing kayak and that if I got one also we could have a blast when we came to visit. Well that got the ball rolling. When I got back home a did all online research I could on kayak fishing. Almost to the point of having OCD. I've watched hours of you tube videos and that just fueled the fire. Needless to say I'm stoked and can't wait to get out on the water. I hope to meet some of you this weekend and to go paddling with more of you this spring.
    BRETT
    Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Welcome aboard New Guy!! Hopefully you'll have that kayak soon!

Comment

You have the right skills just like the rest of us...an unexplained obsessive desire to figure out how to catch fish. The next logical step is the get the best fish catching weapon, a kayak.
      Chat with the guys at the meet and greet. You'll get a lot of info that way.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Hey, and since you went to culinary school, you can exchange fish cooking tips for kayak fishing tips.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

welcome!
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome Bro! It's an awesome addiction!

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            Hey, and since you went to culinary school, you can exchange fish cooking tips for kayak fishing tips.
            Yes that would be awesome. Always looking to learn new ways to cook fish!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Aloha!

Comment

Welcome, hope to see you on the water soon.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Welcome aboard- hope you get your kayak soon and get it rigged for spring fishing-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Welcome. I'm selling one of my kayaks if you or your friend are still looking. My first season was in 2011 and I consider it a lifelong hobby now. Those first few times out on the water are exciting.
                    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Hey Brett ........ Great talking to you this afternoon ........ Welcome Aboard guy .......... look forward to seeing you on Saturday .......

Comment

Welcome, new kayak angler myself...I have the kayak, but it has not seen water. Planning my maiden voyage this Sunday. Most of my fishing background is also feet on the ground catching large mouths and rainbow trout. Now expanding to brackish and saltwater soon. Funny, I have a culinary degree myself...but the industry burned me out. Have a master's electrical license and MUCH happier, more time to fish. Everyone here has been extremely friendly and informative, hope to see you on the water!
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                          Welcome, new kayak angler myself...I have the kayak, but it has not seen water. Planning my maiden voyage this Sunday. Most of my fishing background is also feet on the ground catching large mouths and rainbow trout. Now expanding to brackish and saltwater soon. Funny, I have a culinary degree myself...but the industry burned me out. Have a master's electrical license and MUCH happier, more time to fish. Everyone here has been extremely friendly and informative, hope to see you on the water!
                          It looks like the weather will be in your favor on Sunday, supposed to be in the 70's. I'm planning on waiting til the water warms up a little before I go out, just in case I fall out, plus I'd like to practice re-entry. Yeah, I am no longer in the restaurant business. It was great when I was single, but not so good for family life. I got tired of working every weekend and holiday. Hope to see you at the M&G.
                          BRETT
                          Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Welcome! I got hooked only last year and now I have to tie my yak down to keep it from leaping into the water every weekend

To Fish or not to Fish?
                            That is the question that tries mens souls
                            Fishin Bob
                            Hobie Pro Angler 14
                            Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

Working...
                            X