Chincoteague Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteague Bay

Has anyone ever fished the Chincoteague Bay? I want to make a long weekend trip, camping from the yak, in the spring/early summer. Planning on 3 day/2 night or 4/3 kind of trip.

Mainly wondering about the fishing there, I have obviously never fished there. Any info would be appreciated.

I went once last spring drove the 100 miles- launched in a dead calm, got three miles out in the shallow bay and got caught in a wind storm of 35-50 mph- never caught a fish- but I am game- want to do it again so count me in- the fishing is feast or famine, boom or bust- on the right day it is epic-

Don't forget the bug spray- yellow and black flies are really bad in the Spring-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I fished there regularly for many years. We always used the 3rd week in May as our start date. Not science, but we were normally successful.

Comment

there is a kayak trail that goes up the Va ocean side but its further south than chincoteague. u can find it on the Va DNR web site

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I have seen that flounder is a popular target, but is there anything else that usually boasts a good time as well?

Comment

I had good luck with flounder starting in early April of last year. Drifting Assateague channel north of memorial park seemed best. By end of April through mid May the black drum and striper run in the surf is on full time. If you can time the current right for paddling out and back from the inlet, you can fish the south side of the Assateague 'Hook' tossing peelers or sand fleas back into the surf for drum and bass; otherwise it's mostly just flounder on the backside of Chincoteague in early spring. The way the waves break on the south side of the hook there usually aren't too many waves so it's possible to anchor and cast back to shore.
            Brian

Comment

I caught a doormat last year in chincoteague... that was my first and only experience fishing there though.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=chincoteague
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Do you guys know if the flounders run up into the maryland part of Assateague island? My friend and I are thinking about doing a several day trip fishing and backcountry camping. There seems to be about 6 sites or so where you can paddle down the sound side and camp for a $5 7-day permit. You guys think the flounder run up that far?

If any of you guys are interested in going as a group that would be cool to. Maybe we can set a date. I was thinking maybe 3 days 2 nights.
                The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

I went backpacking at Assateague for 3 days in the late summer. We started at the North Ranger Station and hiked the beach to campsite Pine Tree (bay side). Got swarmed by horse flies and mosquitoes as soon as we left the beach and headed past the dunes into the trees. Decided to move to campsite Little Levels (ocean side) (should notify the Ranger Station if you decide to change camp sites). This was late summer so we were expecting the bugs, just was overwhelmed by the amount of them. It seemed as if the deet spray we were using did nothing at all because of the insane amount of mosquitoes/horse flies. We camped on the ocean side of the dunes, winds were steady enough to keep away all the horse flies/mosquitoes.

Just saying, unless you know for a fact there won't be mosquitoes/horse flies bothering you for whatever reason, I would camp at an ocean side camp site. You would have to hike your kayak to and from campsite to launching site though.

Side note: I did catch puppy drum on the surf with fishbites blood worms.
                  Daniel Kwon
                  2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
                  2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Working...
                  X