Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered and ready.

Comment

I'm planning on being there too. Coming down from OCNJ. Trying to get everything ready and replace the tackle/rods/tools I lost when my kayaks went bouncing around the garage in Sandy. At least they only broke a window and did not go floating off through it.

I hope to be down late Thursday night and fish Friday and Saturday. Hopefully my Revo 13 will be a little faster than the Outback I had previously.

I got site 48. No electricity, but I've been camping for the past 60 years so I won't have any problem.

Now if the weather warms up a little so I can get some time in before then. Also hoping that Fin-atics in OC has herring and sandworms in stock by then.

Librarian

Comment

I just added Thursday to my camping registration. I'm gonna fish Thurs and Friday if anyone else is coming up early.

Comment

As I told John, but for everyone else Greg and I will be there Thursday night and Fishing Friday also. We are in spot Acorn 38, stop by and say hello.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
            As I told John, but for everyone else Greg and I will be there Thursday night and Fishing Friday also. We are in spot Acorn 38, stop by and say hello.
            I'm Acorn 37 will be there on Thursday. See you there
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD
              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I will be there at some point Friday. Trying to get there early as I can so I can squeeze some Friday fishing in as well
                Kodi B. from MD/PA
                Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

Just reserved #62 acorn. Hopefully camping in some decent tent weather and not tons of rain.
                  2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                  2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
                  Rob

Comment

First timer here at the flats, signed up and got spot 52 on the Acorn loop.

Any tips on tackle? Line weight and rod size specifically. I'm a little concerned I don't have a rod heavy enough. I do have a couple heavy rods but at 8' and better, think I'm going to find them awkward on the kayak. In general I tend to go to the light side with tackle but may possibly throw myself out of the boat and die if I lose a nice one due to the undersized equipment. Feedback appreciated you may save a life.

I'm guessing maybe 20-30 test and a fairly stout 6-7' rod. I know that is going to limit the casting a little but don't think casting distance is really going to be a concern in the kayak. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting all excited already and am ready to start packing.

I will be praying for nice weather in the meantime.

Comment

You'll be fine with largemouth bass rods, just put some 20lb braid on a reel with smooth drag and hang on. The fish will pull you and wear itself out!
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        You'll be fine with largemouth bass rods, just put some 20lb braid on a reel with smooth drag and hang on. The fish will pull you and wear itself out!
                        Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear it. I haven't tried braid yet and hope you can make a recommendation for mono. Think 15 lb. is enough? Something like a 6.5' heavy bass rod with 15lb. test was my first inclination but seeing some of the pictures of what has been pulled out up there, I started getting a little concerned. Haven't ever caught a really decent sized rock and shudder at the thought of losing one.

Comment

That will work! I would still use a leader of about 30lb mono (about 20" or so?) so that you can grab the line when the fish is by the boat. For top water a rod that has a little more flex in the tip is good too.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            That will work! I would still use a leader of about 30lb mono (about 20" or so?) so that you can grab the line when the fish is by the boat. For top water a rod that has a little more flex in the tip is good too.
                            Thanks again, really appreciate it. Sounds like a plan. Was planning on the leader for my next set of worries, getting the thing on the boat. The only downside is now I have no excuse to go rod shopping.

Comment

officially registered here as well, looking forward to hitting the water with you guys!
                              Kodi B. from MD/PA
                              Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

I might go.
                                -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                                Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                                Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Working...
                                X