Thinking about a Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a Pro Angler

I've got some cash coming to me from the VA (reimbursement for some school tuition I paid out of pocket for) and am thinking of getting a Pro Angler 14.
    I grew up white water kayaking/canoeing and used to surf a 10' Perception white water kayak in Jacksonville, Fl, when I studied at UNF. I'm not afraid of big water (had the 10' Perception out in 12' waves from an off-shore hurricane; great surfing in that boat).
    I also grew up fishing both fresh and salt water in the lower Eastern states.
    My family owns a summer cabin up on the Hudson River (some places an person scrapes bottom in an inner tube: but others have slow water with 20' holes). I currently live in Severn. I'm looking for a kayak to help stay in shape, fish a little and be portable (I have an old M100 military Jeep trailer to pull behind my Wrangler).
    Any input on the PA?

any Hobie mirage drive will be at a disadvantage in very shallow water as the fins stick down underneath the keel-but in those situiations you can remove the drive and paddle like any other kayak- The PA 12 and/or 14 are really roomy and stable (you can stand and fish in a PA)- speed wise the Revo and/or Outback is a little faster, but not by much- the PA comes standard with turbo fins where you can add them to the Revo/Outback if you want a higher top speed- the main disadvantage of the PA is its size and weight- they are classified as a small boat- no big deal if you trailer or have a pickup truck-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron ........ the small boat was a marketing ploy by Hobie ......... it's even listed in their Kayak section and everyone classifys them as a Kayak .......

That said ........ the PA is great ....... has more room and built in advantages that other Yaks don't have ......... it definitely is much heavier but well ...... I LOVE mine ..... it is a fishing platform ..........

However ........ I like the models up to the 2012 model ......... I don't like the new seat or the new tackle hatch ....... although the new DF set up is nice if you aren't using a side scan DF .........

Might want to check our sponsor Easton Kayak to see if he has any left overs of deals ........... I got a great deal last year

Comment

Working...
      X