ice cover reconnaissance in Severn creeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice cover reconnaissance in Severn creeks

Many MKF members like winter fishing in the mid-Severn tributaries. With last week's cold temperature, most of our shallow water spots seem to be out of play for the time being. I flew into BWI on Fri afternoon with a window seat. The plane flew right up the middle of the Severn. I had a view of all the creeks on the right-hand (Arnold/Severna Park) side. Nearly all of them had more than half of their surface covered in ice. Most of the shallow shoreline areas, where I target pickerel, were covered in ice.

This morning on my way home from church (10:00 am), I drove to check out several of the spots where I fish. Manresa cove looked nearly all covered in ice. The southern-facing shoreline in Weems was clear up to the Ridgely Ave bridge. But above the first bridge, the creek was covered with at least skim ice most of the way across. The Tucker St. ramp had ice in front of it extending half way across. I did not get out of the car to verify how thick it was.

In summary, although not completely impossible to fish, it would be a challenge to find enough water without ice cover in shallow areas. You might be able to find some docks with the bubblers working and cast around those pilings. With the warmer temps this afternoon and into the 50s on Mon and Tues, the ice may retreat. But it is supposed to get cold again toward the end of the week.

If you do venture out, be careful. There will be very few if any other boaters out there to render assistance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

should all be gone by wednesday..temps in the mid 60s and a ton of rain

but you're right, it'll come back eventually =)
    Last edited by FRED driver; 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Up in Alaska this partial ice cover was prime fishing... The big fish lurked just up under the ice shelf waiting for food to drop in. We get some explosive hits that way.
      I'm not sure if it would work this way here. The ice up there was totally covering still and running water. Break-up woke up every fish and had them patrolling the ice lines.

Comment

Working...
      X