waders for cold winter fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waders for cold winter fishing?

What waders to you guys usually use when fishing in cold water? I have a set of neoprene waders that i use for trout fishing, but mobility in them is less than optimal. They feel heavy and don't bend easily at the knees to be able to pedal the kayak. are there any specific brands that are better suited for pedaling a Hobie? Also looking for recommendations on splash tops that are comfortable.

Thanks!
    Veni, Vidi, Vici pisci

Sock waders w/wading shoes ........... warm clothes underneath.

Comment

I am fairly new to the sport, but I purchased a pair of "Caddis Systems" Waist-Hi Waders and very pleased with them. They are breathable with neoprene booties. I do not have a Hobie, but I have a great range of movement. My trout waders were useless my first time out, my arms were very constricted since I was sitting on most of the wader material. I wear a pair of crocs for launching to protect the booties. Not to mention, using the bathroom is much easier.

I would consider these pant waders trout fishing because they are so comfortable, but I am usually good for a spill in the water trying to wade to a deep pool!
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I don't pedal but the mobility in breathable chest waders is good.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=4039301

As they mentioned, it is the clothing you wear under the waders that keeps you warm (avoid cotton, go for layers that wick away moisture like Under Armour stuff, fleece and wool).

Splash Top on sale:
        http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...1&pdeptid=2018

Dry Top on sale:
        http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...6&pdeptid=1172

I went with a Dry Top for winter fishing. A latex neck gasket is not the most comfortable thing to wear but I have gotten used to it as it got broken in. I was looking for that completely dry seal at the neck and the wrists (to avoid hypothermia).
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I use Fleece lined wader pants under my breathable waders. And I also have a pair of Polartec layers for under that when it's really cold.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

isnt it a pain to try and #1 from waders in a kayak? i have a hard enough time with dry pants, and i can never get my dry top and pants rolled back together appropriately. too bad all the quotes for relief zippers i have gotten are ridiculous.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
              isnt it a pain to try and #1 from waders in a kayak? i have a hard enough time with dry pants, and i can never get my dry top and pants rolled back together appropriately. too bad all the quotes for relief zippers i have gotten are ridiculous.
              Just go.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

^after an evening of too many adult beverages, and a 6 pack of gatorade on the way to the water in the morning, stuff builds up. my pants arent that big enough!

i should add that its a pain to pull down the waist on my dry pants from a seated position, let alone dealing with the bib on waders.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. i've ordered some stuff, let's see if it works out.
                  Veni, Vidi, Vici pisci

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    I hear you on the price of anything with a relief zipper. As long as I have an empty Gatorade bottle onboard I can pull off #1 on the water with a dry top and chest waders (no relief zipper).
                    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

$50 Hodgeman waders at ollies With zipper
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I got relatively cheap breathable stocking foot waders from basspro and Im on my second season with them. The only problem I had was keeping my feet warm on especially colder days. Found a solution to that last time out with heavier boots. Actually I cut them off of a pair of neoprene waders that sprung a leak. 1000 gram thinsulate makes feet nice and toasty.

It is tougher to relieve yourself with waders on, I usually just end up beaching and going on shore quickly.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                        X