Loch Raven Reservoir Outfloww?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loch Raven Reservoir Outfloww?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has fished the Loch Raven Reservoir Outflow river area? I think that the outflow is considered Gunpowder River? Whatever river it may be called, is it considered part of Loch Raven Reservoir? Does that area still follow Loch Raven's regulations? If it isn't part of Loch Raven Reservoir, what are the regulations for that river?

Asking because last late summer, while fishing the outflow below the 2nd dam, I saw a bunch of top water action across the river. When the weather warms up, I am thinking of paddling out there and fishing the far side of the river.

Lots of questions, but I know people have lots of answers

lochraven.jpg
    Attached Files
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

I used to bowfish for carp there. I remember going out in my canoe, but I don't remember where we launched. I used to see a lot of nice bass and pickerel in there, especially around the weeds just below the dam.
    Carpe Pisces

Comment

FWIW....there's a pretty decent mom&pop restaurant at the top of the hill, that overlooks the dam.

Comment

Below the dam should fall into the regualr state of MD freshwater guidelines. The boating permit is for the actual reservoir itself, I know boats/kayaks are not allowed within so many feet of the dam stated in the permit regulations. I would imagine that City of Baltimore cannot regulate that part of the gunpowder. I would check the DNR website to be sure, they should have some links to the information you need.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

When we were in Alaska and had fishing regulation questions (even the wardens have trouble knowing the rules based on location sometimes) we would send an e-mail with a set of GPS coordinates and ask for clarification. Then we'd print the answer out and take it with us. That saved a lot of trouble when a warden would stop and check your catch... Any question about a legal take amd the paper got pulled out.

Comment

Ohhh, very interesting guys.

@imagine - yea I always drive by the place and it's normally packed! gotta try it one day after or before fishing.

@mmacro - I'll shoot the DNR an email. thanks
            Daniel Kwon

Comment

I grew up fishing that area, most of it is usually low enough to wade fish. One summer there were two huge bass up under the tree on the far side of the dam and we tried and tried but could only get the smaller ones. I swear those bass were in the double digits... Never thought to bring a kayak up in there, but I guess it was before my yak fishing days. There used to be no shortage of bluegill, bass, huge carp and mud shad around. You would probably be ok in a yak as long as you stay out of the dam washout area.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Problem is the launching and parking .......... there have always been big fish there ....... especially around the far wall and there is a lip at the edge of the dam ......... I would catch nice bass, crappie and huge bluegills there over 50 years ago. Use to have a really neat pencil eel run there. If you could catch a few you were guaranteed nice bass. Also used to slide down the dam on a water shoot ........ until someone hit there hear and died .......... used to be a thick rope tied to a big ring in 1 of the stones that we used to climb up .......... ahhhh ... the good ole days.

Loch Raven Reservoir regs end at the little dam ....... unless they changed them over the decades.

Comment

Agree w/MM. 2012 watershed regulations state "...use of watercraft is prohibited.....between Loch Raven Dam and the small Loch Raven Dam." Looks like your spot is OK to me since it is down stream from the small dam.
                  John D.
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                  GO RAVENS!!!
                  GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

I've fished there and agree that there's carp. I've also seen trout there too. The gunpowder is full of bass so that makes sense as well. I don't think a kayak is really the right thing there. Wading should do just fine. The tree that shady is talking about gets pretty deep and you probably can't stand there but looks fishy.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

I say do it, even though it maybe or seem like water for wading, your kayak doesn't draw much water either, and from my experience in those areas the silt and sediment can get pretty deep. Just trying to walk the river and fish I would sink a foot and a half to two feet. And walking through that isn't the easyiest.
                      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

If your going to put a kayak in make sure u have a permit. I refuse to be told where i can and cant fish (unless private property) so i refuse to get that permit. Its cheaper to rent a boat and catch a lotta fish like we usually do then spend 90 or so dollars. Yes its all year but kills ya when someone says hey were tearin up the rockfish in the severn come on lets go. O i had to sign a paper sayin i can only fish these three reserviors.

Comment

You don't need a permit below the Little Dam. You only need a permit for a boat to fish the main lake above the 1st bridge. Yes you do have to sign a wotheless piece of paper that has no enforcement throughout the state so most people sign it and ignore it. You can't fish between the 1st bridge and the Big Dam ........ you can't fish between the dams ........... you can kayak and fish below the little dam. You couldn't wade there when I fished there because there were holes that were too deep I don't know about now. Yakin would be fun but you have to row against the current to get there and it should hold fish year round because of the holes and always a current with oxygenated water.

Comment

Ah gotcha. Only spot i really know of is the fishin center 2 of the bridges and the surrounding area.

Comment

Sweet, great info guys. Going to test out my kayak when it gets a little warmer Gotta make sure it floats!

Going to go camping at Jane's Island State Park and would love to bring my kayak there.
                              Daniel Kwon

Comment

Working...
                              X