Best method to tie on steel leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to tie on steel leader

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could offer some good advice when it comes to tying a section of steel leader onto whatever type of line you are using. I have been using the "Albright knot" to tie on maybe a 6" section of steel leader at the end of my line when fishing in areas with a lot of pickerel. Last season, I used fluorocarbon, and noticed during hook sets, the fluoro would break at the knot to the leader quite often. If memory serves me right, with braid this did not happen that much. I would like to stay away from using any swivels or any other hardware. I like just joining the two together (seems a lot less noticeable) especially when fishing for bass in an area with pickerel. I may just go back to braid to avoid the breakage, but I'm undecided on that too (see my other thread).

I use 8-lb mono line and 20-lb mono leaders for my pickerel rods. I only rarely get a bite off through that leader. I use a double-uni knot (generally 4 wraps on each side of the knot) which holds well. I don't think you need to use steel leaders for pickerel. A few months ago, I tried using an Albright knot to attach the leader but did not have good success with the knot holding.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I didn't think I would need steel leader either. I tried using heavy mono leader as you said, and even witnessed a maybe 6 inch baby pickerel in shallow water cut it like a hot knife in butter. I had no trouble with the albright knot holding tight with steel leader, just the line breaking at the knot. I guess all the turns in the knot is too much for mono or fluoro and weakens it too much when your fishing with 6-8lb test. I'm guessing if i go back to braid this won't happen but still holding out for a few more suggestions.

Comment

When pickerel fishing I do what John does. In my case, my pickerel rods are rigged with either 8# or 10# Fireline braid. Then I add 6' of 20# mono or floro leader, then tie on ~18" of 30# floro using a surgeons knot. A double unit will also work just as well. BTW, I can't make an Albright knot work either no matter how carefully I tie it... and I have followed the video instructions to a T.

I think your experience of pickerel cutting through heavy mono was a freaky rare event. However, I do keep a close eye on the condition of the end of the line after each pickerel. I'll retire the tip section frequently during a days pickerel outing if I starting seeing nicks and dings in the tip section. BTW, I start out with 18" of heavy floro so that I can retie the lure several times without having to replaces the entire tip section.

Also, I have tried various steel leaders and have always been severely disappointed with their performance. Seems they get kinked-up and useless after just a few fish. That said, I still use steel leaders when fishing for northern pike mainly due their much larger size.

==============

I'll add that I use 6' of 20# floro for a main leader because I'll be pickerel fishing in and very near pier pylons that are covered with barnacles. Those dang things can cut through thinner mono almost as fast as a pickerel.
        Last edited by HJS; 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
        X