Shimano Trevala and Daiwa Lexa Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimano Trevala and Daiwa Lexa Reviews

FINALLY I’ve had a chance to put my trevala and Daiwa Lexa through their paces during this last trip on the Morning Star.

First up the Trevala(TVC66M)… I was targeting Tog with both 10 and 12 oz sinkers. The rod is rated up to a little over 8 ozs(240 g) for jigs, so I figured a 12 oz sinker would be fine. And it was!! It handled it like a champ on the few time I had to check bait.

Sensitivity??? Uhhhh yes! I could feel every bump of the structure with ease… and this is in over 80 feet of water! The hits were never questioned… I loved it. The rod has enough backbone to pull the fish away from the structure but not so stiff that it feels like your are fishing with a steel pole! Fights were still fun with this rod and that’s what I like… a good fight!

Pros: Very Lightweight, Trigger grip, pairs perfect with a low-profile baitcaster

Cons: Long butt(only an issue on the yak)

Now to the Lexa(LEXA 300HS-P)… I picked this up last year when it just came out. Everyone raved about the Shimano Curado, but I couldn’t afford it so Lexa it was! I fished with it a couple of times, but I don’t recall if I caught anything on it or not. Even if I did, it wasn’t much to write home about. The reel is rated up to 22lbs of drag which I took with a grain of salt. The reel was working great the first few black seabass I pulled up, but I found myself thumbing the spool (which was nice and smooth BTW)… so for the next drop down I made sure to tighten down the drag a bit, still not all the way and made sure not to thumb the reel at on the fight and it held up like a champ on a 18” or so black sea bass from over 85 feet! It held up like a champ! I got the HS so I didn’t really get it for it’s cranking power, but it was great reeling up the slack line after pumping up the fish with the rod.

Pros: Paddle Handle option, No flipping switch BUT the reel can be reengaged with pushing up on the thumb bar(pretty cool and should prove helpful with one hand operation on the yak with depth changes), smooth drag, and large line capacity

Cons: Free spool isn’t as fast as I would like, but not a deal breaker.

The 2 make a great pair! I’m thinking about getting a Trevala S and maybe another Lexa… but I’m not sure just yet. I can’t wait to go after some Sheepies and Tog at the CBBT!

I looked at the Lexa 300- good write up and reviews- I want to get the Revo NACL or Toro as my next low profile reel- The Toro is a winch, though
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That NACL looks sweet! I got got the Lexa for 159... I couldn't pass it up! I wonder if Abu or an aftermarket company will make a power handle for the Toro Winch? I have a STX that would be cool if I get a Power Handle for... hmm...
      Last edited by mytmouse; 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X