Spsp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spsp

I got there at 6:30am.Whent to the small vessel launch area,used the headlights to rig up.trolled a bomber deepdiver 20 and a 3/4oz. bucktail to the lighthouse.Water was choppy and it was pretty windy.Tossed the bucktail around the lighthouse and managed to hook an 18" striper.Trolled to the bridge fished around the massive concrete base and the rock island but no fish.The swells were getting bigger and the wind was getting the best of me so I trolled back to the landing and headed home.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had quite the paddle. That's allot of water you covered.

Comment

SPBP in Nov/Dec

I've kayak fished there during the Summer. Caught only croakers. Anyone know what fishing is like during Nov/Dec?

I'd like to troll for stripers. Maybe bottom fish using jigs or bloodworms. I have waders/dry top.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Trolling is generally good. However, it has been slow here lately. Alot of fisherman have been vertical jigging with very good sucess. If you mark fish on the bottom, stop and vertical jig. Alot of people are using stingsilvers. Most types of flashy veritcal jigs will work. The fishing in Nov/Dec can be very good. Perch fishing is still good. However, that time of year, most are after stripers.

Comment

Sandy Point

I'm after stripers. I have crankbaits, bucktails and fishbite bloodworms to try. I may pick up some sting silvers.

I want to go tomorrow, but the weather forecast doesn't look too good. High 40s. Sunny, but winds predicted to be 10-20 mph. I have an OK Trident 13' rigged with a minn kota electric trolling motor, but the cold wx deters me.

Comment

AHH, you sound like me. I use an electric motor myself. If you like to troll, deep diver type crankbaits are what I use with sucess. I use mostly Rapalas, about 3-4 inches in color glass ghost. I also use Yo-Zuri, Lucky Craft and some others on occasion. The trolling bite has been off. It looks as if the fish don't want to chase the baits. Maybe the water is getting cold. That may be why the jigging action has been so polular. You seem to have to drop the lure right in front of the fish.

Good Luck.

Comment

Fishing Report SPSP Sun, 28 Nov

Hit the water on my electric-powered kayak at 1130 am today. Blue sky, sunny. 40s. Little to no wind. Fairly calm water. Really nice day. Quite a few fishing boats and sailboats.

Fished around the lighthouse for an hour or so. Then went toward the bridge. Fished the north and south side of the bridge. Did some casting, jigging, trolling and bottom fishing. Used Hogkins shorty, kastmaster, swimbait, bucktail, rat-l-trap, frozen spot, and fish-bite bloodworms.

Lots of marked fish on the FF. Most on or near the bottom. Unfortunately, absolute nothing. Not even a nibble. After over five hours on the water I came in. Talked to another kayaker, and he said he got nothing too. Seems like the other boats weren't catching anything as well.
              Last edited by tufnik; 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

The last time I was there it seemed like I threw everything out at them and not a bite.Summer is another story the bite is pretty good.After my skunk at the bridge I headed to Florida (Daytona beach,Ponce Inlet)for Thanksgiving and the blues tore up all my lures.I was casting 60 yards out nailing 3lb to 4lb blues on big bomber baits,kastmasters,jointed minnows etc.To top the trip I caught a 29" red.It was great to hear the drag singing and seeing the rod bent over.

Comment

Crawdad: Sounds like a nice trip to Florida. The next time I go, the kayak is going with me. I will have some reds in my sights too. I also have this thing about catching a sailfish from a kayak.

Tufnik: That is generally a good place to fish for rock. The Hacketts side of the bridge is also a good area, just off the drop. You may also want to try some of the rivers. The Severn is generally pretty good this time of year. You could launch out of Jonas Green Park. If you do that, head towards the mouth of the river. However, the section between the two bridges can also be pretty good. Study the charts of the river and troll the countours and drop offs. Use deep divers 7-15 ft or deeper. Try to troll the waters where the deep divers are near bottom. Nothing wrong with bucktails and/or swimm shads. Get the bucktails down as near bottom as possible. Presently, that is where the fish seem to be in most areas. The electric motor should give you extended range for the troll. I generally troll at around 3 mph. Trolling is a good way to find the fish and search them out. Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah, I wanna to go to Florida too!

Where can I get contour maps from?
                    How about out in the bay beyond Spa and Back Creeks?

I caught a 42" rock last year (Nov) southeast of Lookout Point, but that was off a headboat from Solomons. Used their heavy duty reel with heavy heavy line. You don't fight the fish, you just crank like heck. For real fun, I want to catch a cow like that off my kayak and own gear. Anyway, that's sorta my quest now

Comment

mdfisherkid and i are probably going to fish the bridge this coming saturday. we are planning on launching from SPSP, trolling out to and in between the spans and are hopefully going to mark some fish and drop a few eels and metals down infront of their noses. wishful thinking.... but anyway thats the plan. anyone feel free to join in.
                      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

spsp 12/4

bump
                        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I'm on the hook for Christmas shopping, hopefully it will be a one day event.

I may be out there on Sunday with the same idea though if your plans change.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'd join you too, but my wife has tickets for a Christmas show. Of course, there's also shopping.

Let us know how it goes. I'd be real envious if you get the big one.

Comment

well gentlemen it seems like you violated fishing rule number 1, dont get hitched... anyway enjoy that saturday it sounds like real fun. Redfish, fisherkid and i are considering staying down at a buddys and fishing the bridge again sunday. we are thinking about launching from the eastern shore side at Hemingways saturday. Hows launching work there ive only been there once and that was to grab food.

Comment

Working...
                              X