Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Clothing

Hey All,

Looking for some recommendations for some cold weather and waterpoof clothing. I know a lot of people use waders but I kinda want to steer clear due to safety concerns.

What does everyone use to stay warm and dry?
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Is there something unsafe about waders?
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

My experience with waders caused me to move slowly due to the weight. Not sure how they would act if I had to swim with them and the combination of wet clothing. What about the Neoprene waders?
      Dave
      2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

What I use.

Originally posted by dsmero View Post
        Hey All,

Looking for some recommendations for some cold weather and waterpoof clothing. I know a lot of people use waders but I kinda want to steer clear due to safety concerns.

What does everyone use to stay warm and dry?
        I start with ColdGear(or Nockoff) top and bottom. I follow with Polyester turtleneck and polypro bottoms.
        Then a polyester fleece on top to trap air, followed by a kayak dry top. I use breathable waist high waders with a belt instead of high waders. Finish with a good polar fleece cap and your good to go with most any Maryland weather. Avoid any cotton- it does not hold warmth when wet or sweaty.
        Good Luck.

Comment

On Saturday I wore Under Armor base layer top and bottom, on top of that I wore fleece top and bottom (sweat pants and top), fleece bootie socks, dry bottom with foot socks and dry top with neoprene boot. I stayed warm and dry, but can't find the right gloves yet. No cotton. This being my first time fishing in my Kayak in the winter, that was perfect for me, just need to get my hands right.
          2012 hobie outback
          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Regardles of what you settle on, you will be able to swim with a pfd. Some waders will allow you to move more freely. There are paddle pants, similar to waders, which work quite well. There are also light weight waders that you may want to try. If you go this option, then you will need a dry top that seals around the waist. You can get the dry tops that seal at West Marine. The dingy sailing dry tops will work. That is what I use along with the paddle pants. Right now there is alot of foul weather gear on clearance at the store.

There is also the dry suit option. If I start doing more cold weather kayaking, I may have to go that route.

Comment

Hey Dana, don't forget the neoprene/fleece mitts at Bass Pro
              Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
              Stealth Green Tarpon 140
              Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Yeah just need to get hope I can do that soon.
                2012 hobie outback
                2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Academy has some neoprene fishing gloves for about $7.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...97010181+10001

Check it out.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Thanks for the advice all! I went ahead and ordered Hodgman Pond Hollow chest waders from Amazon and already got them today (love that Prime shipping). I was able to get them for $38 in "like new condition". Tags still on them and has that new smell, hope they perform like they look and feel. Really thin light material kinda like snowboard/ski pants but yet started sweating trying them on

Under armour mock and leggings is a must, just need to find a good dry top and gloves.

Amazon still has sizes 9 and 10 "like new" in stock for dirt cheap if anyone is interested. These retail for $150 at Dicks.
                    Dave
                    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Working...
                    X