Good news! Kayak is almost done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news! Kayak is almost done!

For those of you who read my older thread a couple months ago, I just tested out my wooden kayak today at Centennial Park and it was great!

Loading and unloading is a pain the the butt because the yak weighs roughly 100lbs, maybe more. Got it on the car, tied it down with 550 cord and used an old bike rack strap to hook up the front and rear lines to the hood/trunk. Had some problems with the cart I made, only because it would slide out of place and the yak would tip over.... kinda embarrassing in front of the mass of people at Centennial park today, but that's okay! Figured out a couple more bungees would hold it in place. As far as I know, the yak tracks pretty straight and for that I am glad. I brought 2 rods on the trip, tried fishing for a bit, but was more focused my paddling and getting comfortable with the yak; therefore, I didn't catch anything. Not many people were catching though. Saw a couple guys with some crappie, but that's about it.

All in all, I'm excited. Going to sand down the epoxy some more and start accessorizing/painting soon.

487432_10152711757765495_909552719_n.jpg858451_10152711757065495_1352752568_o.jpg882639_10152711758560495_415778075_o.jpg
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Nice, going!

Comment

Looks like you are finishing just in time for the season. How's the stability?

Looks nice but must have givin you some trouble loading
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

where did you find plans? Duckworks?
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Pretty impressive. I can imagine the sense of pride you must have with all the work you put into that
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
            Looks like you are finishing just in time for the season. How's the stability?

Looks nice but must have givin you some trouble loading
            Stability is pretty fair from what I can tell. I actually tried to lean far left and far right to see if I'd tip, but to no avail (thank god). I even sat at a shallow area rocking back and forth. I'm happy with the stability. Then again, I don't have much to compare to, since I never owned a kayak.

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            where did you find plans? Duckworks?
            I based the design off of a company called 'spirainternational'. They were free designs. If you're interested in building one, I would look at the differences between ply-on-a-frame style and stitch-and-glue. I just kind of chose one I liked and chose the one that 'seemed' easiest to build.
            Daniel Kwon
            2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
            2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Cool, not to many of us that build our own (said the plastic boat paddler!)

Comment

Very impressive!! You will draw a crowd at every launch. Got any color schemes?
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work. Very well done.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Excellent! I say you paint it like a giant Striper or largemouth bass if you prefer.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice build.
                      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Awesome, very unique boat! Hope to see it in person some day.

Paint it silver with faux rivets to make it look like a metal yak.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

dkwon,

I was out on Centennial also from 9am-12noon. Caught 1 LMB at 20ft. Must have missed ya. Sorry I didn't get to see the new ride. Pretty impressive building your own yak. Tight lines.
                          John D.
                          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                          GO RAVENS!!!
                          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Very Nice keep moving so
                            if you still looking for
                            any Kayak material then I recommend you check out my website

http://kayak2you.com/

You can come to check my store and find some good one for you
                            I hope that helps you in some way
                            Thank you

Comment

Looks like you've done a great job! Can't wait to see it when it's all painted up.
                              Fishin Bob
                              Hobie Pro Angler 14
                              Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

Working...
                              X