Factory second kayaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory second kayaks?

Anyone have any experience with purchasing a factory second kayak? I'm guessing it really depends on the retailer...

I didn't know they sold them ......... I think most of the manufacturers destroy the seconds because they don't want to affect their brand ......

Comment

i didnt know that either, but this is what i found from a quick google search from a retailer selling an ocean kayak

"Kayaks will have a minor defect (stickers molded wrong, rough area from finish work ect.)

defects are not structural and the original factory warranty applies to these kayaks."
      sigpic

Comment

Any major defects are destroyed because in reality the roto-molded plastic is completely reusable- they just chip it up in small pieces and add it back into the molds- the color is already in the plastic so matching colors is essential- the regular process is a five gallon bucket of the tiny plastic beads and scoop of color poured into the mold, then the two halves of the mold are bolted together and placed rotating into the oven for the prescribed temp/time that the manufacturer requires for the process to be complete-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That's what I saw, I've read good and bad reviews on other boards... might take the plunge

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Any major defects are destroyed because in reality the roto-molded plastic is completely reusable- they just chip it up in small pieces and add it back into the molds- the color is already in the plastic so matching colors is essential- the regular process is a five gallon bucket of the tiny plastic beads and scoop of color poured into the mold, then the two halves of the mold are bolted together and placed rotating into the oven for the prescribed temp/time that the manufacturer requires for the process to be complete-
            Pretty cool info

Comment

What kind are you thinking of getting? I saw factory second Tarpons on ebay when I was looking, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on a non-defective one at rei last summer.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thinking about an Ocean Kayak... figure if they are wholesaling with warranties then it must be legit.

Thanks for the heads up Ryan

Justin

Comment

Working...
                X