Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centennial Lake?

Hello again everyone!

Since I'm picking up my kayak this evening, I was considering taking her out for her maiden voyage tomorrow morning. I have been told that Centennial lake isn't a bad fishery, but I was looking for some experiences from you guys. Anyone had any luck there? I'll mostly be just paddling around and getting used to the new boat, but would also like to play around with some fish while I'm out there. I'm not gonna be taking anything crazy with me, just a UL rig to target panfish and probably my medium action spinner to play around with. Any advice?
    2013 Jackson Kayak Cuda 12 "Penny"

I was out there yesterday around 4pm on the shoreline. There were tons of people fishing from shore, and about 5 boats on the water. Everyone on shore was soaking bait, i'm assuming they were targeting the trout that have been stocked there. I didn't see any of the boats pull anything up. I didn't have any luck either. I was using a lipless crank hoping for some hungry bass cruising the warmer shallows looking for food. I know you need to buy a daily or season pass to use your boat there, but I'm not sure if that applies to kayaks.

Comment

Thanks man. I've actually yet to talk to anyone that's fished there, so again thank you. Did you happen to see any panfish starting to bed up?

Comment

No, but I didn't walk down too much of the shoreline. Just about 1/4mi right from the boat ramp, and it's 2.5 mi around the entire lake :P I did see some tiny bait fish (~1" minnow looking things) by the rocks by the boat ramp that followed my crankbait. A lot of people were also using bobbers so I'm assuming if there were panfish starting to bed up, they would have hooked up at least once, but didn't see any.

Comment

Thanks again. I might re-evaluate where I'm going...

Comment

I was there on saturday 3/9 testing out my kayak and I was throwing a small beetle spin (with and without spinner) along the shoreline with no luck. I saw a boater bring up a smaller 7-9'' fish. No idea what it was, since I wasn't close enough to see. But he was definitely fishing deeper water. When I was finished and getting off the water, some guys on their jon boat had 2 medium sized crappie on a stringer. Didn't ask what they were using or where they were fishing because I was done for the day.

I also saw the same tiny bait fish, as firemunkee mentioned, along the boat ramp. At first I thought that was a good sign :/

I believe the boat permit relates to kayakers as well. You have to circle which type of craft you are boating on and "kayak" was one of them.
            Daniel Kwon
            2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
            2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

I've only had luck at Centennial Lake in the summer months. The bass I've caught there have been on the upper end, in the weeds and lilly pads. I've caught fish there on rapala minnow cranks, 5 inch yum dingers, and buzz baits. I've only fished there and done best around sunset.

If I'm going to fish near Columbia, I much prefer to hit Lake Elkhorn. But I'm not sure what Elkhorn is like since they have dredged it. You will need to get a free permit sticker to put on your kayak from the Columbia Association to fish any of the Columbia Association lakes.

Comment

If you can hold out until Wednesday, I wouldn't mind fishing Centennial. I should be able to fish morning to early afternoon. I've fished there from shore once last year for a few hours with a Senko, produced no hits. A distributor I deal with states its his favorite lake to fish with his electric boat. Who knows...I hear it gets a lot of pressure. There has to be something swimming around with all the people casting from shore....keep in touch if interested.

Originally posted by Followme438 View Post
                Hello again everyone!

Since I'm picking up my kayak this evening, I was considering taking her out for her maiden voyage tomorrow morning. I have been told that Centennial lake isn't a bad fishery, but I was looking for some experiences from you guys. Anyone had any luck there? I'll mostly be just paddling around and getting used to the new boat, but would also like to play around with some fish while I'm out there. I'm not gonna be taking anything crazy with me, just a UL rig to target panfish and probably my medium action spinner to play around with. Any advice?
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Sounds good Sparky. I'm probably gonna go tomorrow to mostly familiarize myself with the boat, but I'm more than game to to a dedicated fishing trip on Wed.!

Comment

Good deal, shoot me a PM tomorrow afternoon or evening to make sure I don't have to put any fires out on Wednesday at work. This is only the fifth trip with my yak, it will be nice to get some more mileage on it. Recon some good honey holes while you're doing donuts in the kayak.
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Will do man!

Comment

By the way, here I am with my new boat!
                        Resampled952013-03-119517-29-4195767.jpg

Comment

Nice kayak. I've fished there before from shore though. I use fish for the trouts during the spring when they stocked them. In the warmer months I've caught bass and bluefills there. It is a hard place to fish for bass in my opinion. It gets fished heavy there.

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                            Nice kayak. I've fished there before from shore though. I use fish for the trouts during the spring when they stocked them. In the warmer months I've caught bass and bluefills there. It is a hard place to fish for bass in my opinion. It gets fished heavy there.
                            Goody, did you hit up Occaquan with GFY1979 today?
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

We did. I justed posted my report.

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X