Hook Sharpeners...Are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook Sharpeners...Are they worth it?

I have always seen hook sharpeners in stores and was never sure what to think about them. On the internet there are people who say it helps for tog to keep the hook sharp. Although I am not sure if the sharpeners actually make a difference. so does anyone use these?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

I keep one in my PFD and every tackle box. They are definitely worth it. A dull hook will not pierce the lip of the fish easily and you can miss a hook set or it may not pierce completely and you will lose the fish. It also helps protect the fish from more damage by a dull hook dragging across or lacerating/tearing the fish's lip.

Comment

I agree with nay-sayer, however, I'm more into fishin when I'm fishin and have plenty of extra hooks, jig heads and bucktails on board. If I have anything that's dulled and worth keeping I throw them in a sack, take them home and sharpen them up when the wx is like it is today (raining cats and dogs in SoMD).
      Fishin Bob
      Hobie Pro Angler 14
      Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

I'm not all that into high dollar hooks. I'd rather just replace them as opposed to spending tie sharpening. Eagle claw or Owner is fine. They're good when they are new. Gammie's my upper limit and Trokar is a no go.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I carry a hook sharpener but I also carry a ton of extra hooks when tog fishing. When one gets dull, just swap it out. The value pack of 3/0 or 4/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks are the thing to get.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X