DEEP CREEK LAKE camping/fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEEP CREEK LAKE camping/fishing

im not familiar with the campsites at DCL but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the best site that is easy access to the lake. (closest) im about to make a reservation for July 4th weekend and wanted to know the best site.....thanx !!!!!! and if your not doin anything that weekend, hit me up and come along....the more the merrier....

Deep creek lake state park is right next to lake they also have a boat ramp i believe you need a permit for it check out md dnr website. I usually stay in garret state forrest they have unimproved campsites with fire pits off snaggy mountain road behind herrington manor park a little further out but I like to stay in the woods away from people hope this helps.
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

the State of Maryland has a decent website about all the state parks. they have pdf of campsite maps which may give u a feel for how the campsites are situated relative to the lake. I don't believe any are particularly close...depends on what u consider close. Make a reservation early, like now, if u r going on a holiday weekend.
      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

thanx for the replies guys.....yeah i was wantin to reserve it now cuz im sure its gonna be busy....but im liking what dhawk is talkin about cuz i wanna be as far away from ppl as possible when im campin ( sometimes the acoustics are brought along and a full out jam session ensues...lotsa fun )....so dhawk, if you could help me out wit h some info about this place or anywhere that is good fishin and campin....the more primitive, the better....plenty of time till then, just wanna have a good time...thanx again fellas

Comment

The place I am talking about is in garret state forrest you can reserve camping spots you can tent there or pull a small camper it backs herrington manor state park which also has camping cabins for rent a lake and a shower house that we use when camping. if you google map snaggy mountain rd oakland md thats where the primitive camping sites areit is just west of deep creek lake between mchenry and oakland md contact herrington manor 301-334-9180 for more info. I perfer to camp here its primitive but quiet there are a few bears here so you need to properly keep your food I have been bowhunting there for the past 18 years lots of good trails herrington manor lake has bass trout and pikeral canoe and kayak rentals its close drive to deep creek and to swallow falls
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Getting away from people "on the water" is impossible out there. I have not had very good experiences with the pleasure boaters out there. Just flat out wake you all day out of ignorance. I quit fishing out there 10+ years ago because of it. I feel 10 times safer on the bay than that lake.

I hope you enjoy your vacation, though.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I fish there just about every year. It's a big lake. I don't know of launches beside DCLSP. Be prepared to paddle. The drop off just off the state park beach is a great walleye spot. The pleasure boaters are a problem in summer. When I'm there I fish early in the morning and later in the evening. I leave the middle of the day to the pleasure boaters. The motor boaters don't seem to get up until about 10 Am. There numbers also start to dwindle by 6 PM.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
              X