Salt water reel suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt water reel suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a saltwater bait casting type reel. Looking to use on a 7 ft med/heavy rod for striper fishing. Would like to keep the price below $150.00 most of my fishing has been fresh water and all my set ups are geared for that. I'm thinking I would want a bait clicker ?

7ft MH Mojo perhaps? Lol! I had used a Diawa Coastal 153L on the rod and I like that reel a lot. Another option if you can it would be a Shimano 201e7! The G series are not the same quality. I think the E series Citica's are also well loved.

If you are looking for a smaller bc with a clicker, then the Abu Garcia 5600 C4 (older style) is about as small of a reel as you can find with a clicker. If you plan on jigging, then you may not need the clicker.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yes you are correct Michael on the Mojo bass I'm trying to decide on a reel for it, I'm just learning this salt water game !

Comment

Good luck with the hunt!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I wouldn't focus on the clicker... it'll exclude a lot of good reels... usually, the clickers are on bigger reels that would be overkill for what you'll probably be using the rod for.
          Last edited by chex; 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM. Reason: grammar
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mike !

Comment

I wouldn't about the clicker either.

Do you really need a saltwater BC? A lot of us use freshwater BCs. Almost all of my fishing is done on saltwater, and most of my BCs are freshwater. I have a Quantum Catalyst BC going on it's third year. It was my go-to BC, which got dunked a few times. I wash all my equipment with soap and water after every outing. My Quantum still works fine. No corrosion. I have no problem buying another freshwater BC for saltwater use. Just remember: proper maintenance.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've have nothing but great things to say about the Abu Garcia Record. Not low-profile, but it can be had in this price range and mine has proven to be darn near bullet proof.
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                X