Use a 2-speed reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a 2-speed reel?

I'm thinking about a 2-speed conventional reel. The advantages are obvious: easy cranking (especially when you catch a big on) on low gear, and fast retrieve on high gear. In many cases, it's better to have a continuous retrieve when you have fish-on, and low gear helps you do that easily. Most of these reels, I guess, are used on boats, but you could use them for shore (e.g., rays and sharks) and yak (e.g., cows, bull reds and cobia).

Anyway, anyone use a 2-speeder for shore, yak or boat fishing? What do you think? Worth it? Not really needed? Unreliable? A waste of $? Single speed good enough?
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I could see the benefits if you boat fished often in deep water. I do not fish that deep of water very often so for me a high speed Avet SX or Torium with a long handle would be my choice. I think it is probably overkill for a kayak, but who knows. There are two speed Abu 6500s that are hard to find, but would be way cheaper. I'd probably consider that for the kayak, I think they were designed for musky fishermen.
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Redfish... And I also don't catch fish big enough for me to have to drop down a gear! Now if I did a lot more deep dropping I surely would look into one... It gets old real quick pumping a fish up from 100 feet down! LOL

Comment

One of the old Abu 6500's I have is a two speed- you really don't notice when it shifts to a lower gear under heavy pressure- I really never paid much attention to the feature- it was my popping rod when I fished piers and trout fished the CBBT- I used 12 pound test Trielene throwing 4 oz grubs-my pier rod was a 10 ft. Lamiglas 1365 blank cut back to a 28 tip with a two speed Abu 10,000C- same feature- came in handy when a big hammerhead picked up your float rig instead of a king mackerel or cobia-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Didn't know Abu made a 2-speed. Now you guys got me fired up.

Ron, was that an auto shift Abu? I thought all 2-speeders were manual.

Comment

Nope - auto shift you don't even notice it when it happens- old technology from the Swede's

Comment

Wow... now that would be cool!! An automatic 2 speed!! Ron you remember the gear ratios?

Comment

5-1 shifts to 2 or so to 1 if I correctly recall-

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Too cool........automatic transmission........too bad there's no automatic hook......shifts into catching big or small fish....lol......

Comment

I have an Abu 2 speed reel. Gear ratios are 6.1-1 and 3.8-1. It also has a flippin switch and flip up level wind cover which is great for clearing the occasional birds nest.

It's great for ripping buzzbaits and other surface lures across lily pads and shallow structure. The low gear engagement can be set with a wheel next to the star drag.

Overall a very innovative reel.......a little tall, a little bulky compared to the most recent reels. Surprised the concept didn't catch on.

Comment

Working...
                      X