Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any body use a float coat while kayak fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any body use a float coat while kayak fishing?

Wondering if they are too restrictive or not?
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

I usually just layer a couple of layers and throw over a dry top, Doc- My upper body rarely gets cold in the Outback- peddling keeps me warm- ears/hands sometimes gets cold, but not much else
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Not sure what you mean. Did a search and found K-9 float coat, which is a vest for dogs/cats.....certainly not that.......Do you mean a pfd? If so, yes, it's restrictive, but I use it all the time. It's workable.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Super cold weather safety wear, Tuf- Float coats are floatation devices and keep you warm- a lot of crews on Tugs, workboats/watermen wear them in the northeast and Great Lakes- Standard issue for USCG crews assigned to icebreaker duty
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I had one 15 years ago for use on my power boat. It was a Stearns model with flotation in the sleeves as well as the body section of the jacket. I felt it was too restrictive in the arms and shoulders for that use, and would not seriously consider using one on my kayak. As Ron described, use layers for warmth and water protection, along with a conventional PFD.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

They seem very restrictive. I know when cold water fishing and wearing alot of clothing and splash gear, I go to an inflatable PFD just to avoid the added bulk.

Comment

I have and it was comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                I have and it was comfortable
                Looking forward to trying yours on...
                http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                484-459-9863
                If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

I have a mustang classic float coat that I have used kayak fishing. I have also used it for surf fishing, not for safety but because its warm and waterproof inside and out. So if you re wading a bar and a wave crashes on your head you stay dry and warm. It is a little restrictive but fishable. If you want one for kayak fishing I would get the bomber style and not the longer classic float. While I don't typically ware it kayaking, in early spring or late fall I do stick it in my front hatch with my go to wool sweater. That way if I get wet I have some dry, warmer clothes and jacket to warm up with. The last time I wore it kayaking was two seasons ago when i pulled it out for the three mile paddle back to G Dock in a down pour rainstorm in April. I was glad i had it when sunny morning turned into ugly a cold raining day.

Danny

Comment

Working...
                  X