Riding the waves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding the waves!

Yesterday mytmouse and I headed out on the kayaks. We launched out of Hemingways...boy was it rough! The forecast called for waves of 2-3ft....and they were every bit of it! It was a bit daunting at first, but after a while it actually became fun. It was quite the thrill riding the waves...with quite a few breaking over the bow of my yak. Luckily my spray shield does its job effectively. It kept the bow storage area pretty dry.

We paddled out to pylon #34 or so. It was too rough to fish, so we just came on back to shore. I learned a lot out there yesterday. I learned how to handle my kayak in big waves. I also gained a new respect for mother nature, as well as the small craft advisory! People from the bridge were looking at us like we were crazy. We are.

We packed up, drove down the road to grab a burger & beer at Kentmorr, then we fished at Kent Narrows for a little while. I lost my new $16 lure due to a snag on the first cast. :-/
    <insert witty comment here>

Its a learning curve. Might be best to go on "Perch Patrol" on days like that.

Good Luck.

Comment

Absolutely. Once we got away from the beach I was kinda wishing we were at Weems Creek.

Comment

Nice report. Going out in rough water is an excellent way to learn how your kayak handles it; however, I prefer that kind of lesson when it's warmer. I was curious how those splash skirts worked, so it's good to hear they're effective.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Rodeo riding at its best. Its good to get out and test the waters and you and your boats capabilities. As long as your safe and sounds like you were. The wind has kept my last few trips to sheltered waters. Luckily we have allot of options in this area.

What gear were you wearing out there in the cold windy bay? Did you stay dry and warm?

Comment

nice..i never take expensive lures to KN, i always end up losing them.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
              Rodeo riding at its best. Its good to get out and test the waters and you and your boats capabilities. As long as your safe and sounds like you were. The wind has kept my last few trips to sheltered waters. Luckily we have allot of options in this area.

What gear were you wearing out there in the cold windy bay? Did you stay dry and warm?

Yep, we were dry and warm. I got to test out my new chest waders (breathable with neoprene stocking foot). I had the belt cinched snugly in case of a spill. Up top I had my long sleeve under armor shirt, topped with a long john shirt, then my fleece jacket...then my pfd of course.

My cockpit took on some water (no scupper holes), so I bailed it out with a water bottle before heading back in. My seat had water in it from when waves hit me from behind, but the waders kept me dry! I want to get a dry top soon.

My seat back has two bungees with hooks. They're supposed to hook on to a little ring/eyelet to keep the seat back erect. But I use them to secure my rods in rough waters. I also just installed my bungee cords for the stern area, so everything was secured behind me as well.

I think yesterday's trip was pretty much the threshold for my yak's capabilities.

Comment

Man it was tough out there! The waves were crashing all over the bow... heck they were even coming over the side! LOL It was so hard to paddle... I swear it took forever to get out there... we saw the long pylons and I hoped that it would give us some protection from the wind til I saw a wave crash into it... *YIKES* Then we promptly made a U-Turn...lol

I must admit that I wasn't really scared out there... I felt safe as long as I didn't tense up...it took a few big ones then I finally just went with the flow!

The funny part was hearing MetrMan's hull slapping and I was thinking "Oh I hope that wasn't him hitting the water!" LOL

I think that we will heed the small craft advisory next time...

MYT

Comment

I needed a helmet cam!

Comment

I was trolling on the channel one time and a tanker came by, some of them go pretty fast amazingly for their size.Anyway I was going against the wind and the swells and suddenly I see this mambo swell from the tanker come from behind me and they are wide joe, I was like this ain't no fun.Got out of there.The current between the stone island and the huge concrete base at the bridge base gets real funky sometimes makes you feel like your not going anywhere when its choppy/windy there its like a minnie bermuda triangle.

Comment

Working...
                    X