Total investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total investment

Started out thinking this was a cheap hobby- fishing out of a plastic man powered 12 foot kayak- throw it in the back of the truck on a spur of the moment and off I go- launch just about anywhere, fish in waters no one else can- well, that was the theory- in practice it is like any other hobby- you can put a lot of money into kayak fishing and all the accessories that go with it- after you get all the bells and whistles, electronics, battery and battery storage setup, carbon fiber paddles, drift socks,inflatable pfd, dry tops, waders, anchor trolley,self contained live well, stakeout pole, camera mounts, rod holders, rods, reels, tackle....it can be a very sizable investment in your hobby- and this is only my third year of doing this-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Yep. Sounds about right. But, you've got to figure in the $2.99 per pound fish that you catch. Kind-of like buying a sports car, when you only walk to work, shop, etc. :-)

But, I didn't think any of us do this because it makes economic sense. We do it because we love it.

For example, I fished the past two weekends (from the shore, my boat has not come yet). Didn't even get a bite. But, had a great time! It was clear, cold and quite. Just me and my thoughts. I can't wait to get back out next weekend.

But, for me, I try to go cheap in everything I do. Look for sales, deals and used. Else, it will cost me a huge amount.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Yep...I'm sure many people who haven't a clue think "oh...they must not be able to afford a boat."
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Other than the purchase prices of my two kayaks, I have averaged about $600.00 a year for the past three years in additional kayak "goodies." Add in going to low profile Revo's, Curado's and Diawa's, new Powell/Lamiglas rods, lures, tackle boxes, bait, etc. and the bottom line is about double that-

Comment

The good thing is there is a lot less maintenance to a kayak. I can tell you that from previous boat ownership.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Yeah, been there; done that...me too- a fully rigged 24 foot Stamas Clearwater cuddy cabin with a 225 mercruiser and 150 gallon gas tank- Fished the Tidewater/Outer Banks region for more than ten years with it- 10,000 pound capacity dual axle EZ Loader galvanized trailer- electric winch, F-250 4X4 to haul it-

Comment

I have been doing this for less than one year. Just doodling and came up with this list of just the bigger things that I can remember. I know I have spent at least $500 more on just the yak. This does not include any of the fishing gear.

Pro Angler 14 $2495
              Dolly 140
              trailer 1000
              Torqeedo 1600
              Humminbird 597 HD 600
              BPS Waders 100
              BPS 100mph Jacket 210
              water shoes 100
              VHF 85
              Lights 100

$6435

Comment

I'd much rather fish from my yak than any kind of boat. It's quiet, you're not polluting anything, and you're right next to the water. There's nothing like chasing birds over breaking rockfish and ending up in the middle of them, swirling next to you and splashing you. You can't do that in a powerboat. I'm a gadget junkie and probably buy way more stuff than I'll ever need, but, IMHO, it's worth every penny.
                Carpe Pisces

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Yeah, been there; done that...me too- a fully rigged 24 foot Stamas Clearwater cuddy cabin with a 225 mercruiser and 150 gallon gas tank- Fished the Tidewater/Outer Banks region for more than ten years with it- 10,000 pound capacity dual axle EZ Loader galvanized trailer- electric winch, F-250 4X4 to haul it-
                  I'm sure you spent a lot more on that than kayak fishing. Kayak fishing is still a lot cheaper than running a big boat and a lot more environmentally friendly.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I just don't think about it.

Comment

Been kayak fishing for 2.5 years. 1 OK torque and Im on my 3rd Revo (sunk one, sold one, have one). I think in this time im upto 30 rods including some customs. Broke 6 rods that had to be replaced. humminbird 385, Lowrance elite 4dsi and now the elite 5dsi. Gas (15mpg) for multiple trips from Jbay New York to Oregon Inlet NC, and hotels. This sport is expensive, I could have an awesome boat right now. I have had the greatest experiences and some monster fish.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I think that what is being described in this post is the great American tradition of customizing or "Pimpin' your ride". Most of us could head out for an afternoon in a used paddle kayak ($500), basic PFD ($50), two regular-grade fishing rods ($50 each), and a small tackle box (another $50) and catch plenty of fish. In an affluent society, we have the luxury of expendable income to support hobbies. Many MKF members own multiple kayaks, have special dollies and racks to transport them, and own quite a few different rods, reels, and tackle. Many of us use marine electronics that far exceed simple black and white sonar capabilities. Special gear mounting systems and accessories make the kayak fishing experience more enjoyable, but are not necessary to find and catch fish. Some of our members have added specialized electric motors and complex battery systems to extend their range.

Just like other hobbies, there can be a great deal of enjoyment in customizing the way each person rigs his kayak. For some, planning their kayak layout, shopping for the specific accessories, and installing them brings as much enjoyment as using their kayaks and fishing. Since we are all doing this for fun, and not for subsistence fishing to feed our families, why not enjoy the sport in the way that you choose.

Other brand-specific boating websites that I have frequented in the past (Classicparker.com; customgheenoe.com) highlight and celebrate our desire to make our vessel unique and showcase our creativity. I look forward to seeing more innovative ideas on rigging kayaks.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                          I just don't think about it.
                          Good Answer!!!!

Comment

Money well spent.

Comment

I started out with a kayak back in 1991 as it seemed the easiest (least amount of hassle) way to get off the bank for fishing. I assumed at the time that I would progress into larger more expensive boats (but that never happened). In the end the simplicity of me and a kayak (plus $ 2000.00 worth of rods reels and lures ) won out. Free time is precious. I'd rather fish than get involved in boat and motor maintenance.
                              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X