New kayak launch info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kayak launch info.

Since it is almost a 120 mile round trip, has anybody tried out the new floating launch at Nan"s Cove on Broomes Island? I think it openend late last year.Frank.

That was news to me and not much info online. Thanks for the info. I am fairly close to it and it could be an option to the regular ramp a short distance down the road. Especially when weather keeps me from other areas. I'll let you know when I check it out.

I'm not sure that their floating dock launch will make it easier for heavier fishing yaks. Maybe if you can cart it all the way down the ramp. I'd prefer a beach launch but maybe the bottom and access at low tide warrant the launch they put in.

Sometimes paying a few bucks where there is commercial activity makes me feel more secure from theft when I leave my vehicle. I probably worry too much but I've been hit in the past.
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

is this the one thats a short ways before the marina...on the right hand side?
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

We stopped by last year before the floating ramp was built, it looked lile a good place to run a trot line.The pictures look a lot like the ramp at Jugs Bay.The launch is on Broomes Island road right before Len's.Frank.

Comment

Ah yes. I stopped by to check that out late last year after departing from Lens. Looked nice from what I remember
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'll have to check that as well. Broomes Isl. is only 30-40 min. from my house.
            Don Haller
            Chesapeake Beach, MD
            Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
            – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Not sure about the launch, now lunch, that's another story. Last weekend I found myself at the vol fire dept in Deale. Annual Oyster Roast. All of their oysters were from Broomes Island this year. They were absolutely delicious. Firm and meatly. They had them fried, frittered, stewed, raw and steamed. I couldn't get enough. I would like to know where one could buy some in that area if anybody knows, please let us all know. I am guessing that finding the oyster bar itself would be a plus when fishing in that area.

Comment

I stopped by Nan's Cove today and I think this will work for traditional paddlers and minimalist yak fishers. Those with yakers loaded with gear may find it's not for them.

There is a bulkhead all the way across the end of the parking area that will fit seven cars. There are no signs coming in on Wharf Rd but there is room for more parking on the sides. Also, no porta johns yet.

There is a good sign at the entrance. The hours are dawn to dusk. I really hate it when I see hour restrictions. Photos attached.
                Nans1.jpg
                Nans2.jpgNans3.jpg
                Hobie Pro Angler 12
                WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I can see how that would be difficult with a fully loaded geared fishing yak. I expect that it is designed to hand carry a canoe or kayak down the gangway and place it on the floating ride up ramp. We have something like this for jet skis at the marina near my house. Is there any other kind of launch there other than this one?

I Googled this:

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2012/12...unch-complete/

http://www.co.cal.md.us/index.aspx?NID=1285
                  Don Haller
                  Chesapeake Beach, MD
                  Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                  – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

[QUOTE=Biggrizzly;55227]I can see how that would be difficult with a fully loaded geared fishing yak. I expect that it is designed to hand carry a canoe or kayak down the gangway and place it on the floating ride up ramp. We have something like this for jet skis at the marina near my house. Is there any other kind of launch there other than this one?

Len's Marina is .9 mi further down on the right.
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    WS Classic Pungo 12

Comment

[QUOTE=Sidemadder;55231]
                      Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
                      I can see how that would be difficult with a fully loaded geared fishing yak. I expect that it is designed to hand carry a canoe or kayak down the gangway and place it on the floating ride up ramp. We have something like this for jet skis at the marina near my house. Is there any other kind of launch there other than this one?

Len's Marina is .9 mi further down on the right.

Comment

Thanks for the reply to my question.I guess that is why this launch is listed on the Patuxent river water trails and is more for kayaking than kayak fishing.Frank.

Comment

Working...
                        X