strange catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange catch

I recently started fishing Stansbury Pond noticing that it has recently been stocked with trout. Unfortunately, I found that they don't allow kayaks on that pond. It's a shame because it would be perfect for that. Anyway, I talked to the local fisherman who told me people frequently catch fish from the bay and throw them into this pond...I'm not condoning this, I'm just telling the story. From time to time I could see big fish slapping around so I came back with a few rods, with a pair dedicated to chicken hearts/gizzards hoping to catch catfish or rockfish. After an hour or so, I kept noticing my rods bending over, but upon retrieval there was not bait left and no fish. I knew something was getting it so I just kept trying. One time I set the hook really hard and started reeling. It got to the surface and I could see what looked like some weird legged fish...that turned out to be a large crab. I never would have expected to catch a crab in a fresh water pond on hook and line, but then again, this is the same pond where a 3.5 lb piranha was caught a few years back so I shouldn't be surprised.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

That's funny. The fun thing about fishing is that there are always surprises.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
    X