New vehicle- kayak friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vehicle- kayak friendly

So I got hit about 3 weeks ago by an Annapolis police officer. He was at fault. Learned last week that my vehicle ('08 Sonata Limited) was totaled. I enjoyed that car. It was comfortable, reliable, and putting my 13' Revo on there was a breeze.

So my wife and I are out shopping for vehicles. We are looking at SUV's with decent MPG. We like the 2013 Rav4 and Highlanders (new and used). Anybody out there with these vehicles? Like or dislike them, and MOST important are the kayak friendly?

Thanks so much!

Take a look at the Subaru Baja they are very yak friendly and the four door model is very roomy go great in snow.
    Donny B.
    OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
      Take a look at the Subaru Baja they are very yak friendly and the four door model is very roomy go great in snow.
      I saw one this morning and was thinking how nice it would be for yakers... but that thing is so ugly!

Comment

Toyota Tundra.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

+1 on a truck. Minimal lifting, easy loading. Way to go IMO.

Comment

A truck is very convient but lacks secure storage with an open bed, think my next one is going to be a Subaru Outback wagon. Lower roof hieght making a kayak easier to load and with a rod rack attached to interior roof should be able to leave rods stowed and secure, ready to go at a moments notice.
            Yellow WS Ride 135
            Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Look at a 4dr truck maybe? My avalanche has 4drs, lockable side compartments on the bed, and the tanto bed cover with the tailgate is also lockable. Hwy wise it's good on gas with a 5.3l drops down to 4 cylinders. From Baltimore to swallow falls I burned 1/4 tank which was 3.5-4hr drive. I think it works well for what I do with it. 7000 tow cap.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I have a ram crew cab and I am able to store everything I take inside. Also, I don't make any unnecessary stops, where I will be away from my truck, even though I lock it as well. A little anal or overboard, one could say so. But like most people, I just can't run out throw down 2 grand on a new outback. Gas, food, bait, I'll stop.

That's what I do. It fits me, and there are many, many options for everyone. Next time you are out with a group of yakkers on a fishing trip, take a look and see what the other guys do. Who knows, you may see something you like or could adapt to what you already do. If it were all the same, it wouldn't be any fun.

Let us know what you get!

Wife has a rav4. Nice comfortable ride. It totally sucked when I fished from a canoe. 15' long, heavy, bulky. Everything a typical kayak is not. BUT, like I said, it was a canoe. Loading and unloading a kayak from there would be a lot easier. Moc makes it look easy from a Honda pilot. And he's only 5' tall! Hehe.

Comment

I cartop my Outback on a Honda minivan. Not exactly easy, but I manage (I'm only 150#).

I assume you will do cartopping and not pull a trailer. If you really want a yak friendly vehicle, that is, for easy loading/unloading, go with a pick-up. The most unfriendly vehicles would be minivans and SUVs. A good compromise, and I would go this route if I bought another vehicle, are station wagons. Good room and low enough to make cartopping fairly easy. Examples are Subaru Outback, Volkwagen station wagon and Volvo station wagon. I personally like the Outback.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I car top my Hobie revolution and outfitter on my Honda Civic hybrid (Not at the same time). I have a Yakima rack with two one-man boat loaders. Both boats are easy to on and off load. I may have to go up some hills in second gear, but I still get good mileage.
                    Carpe Pisces

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      I cartop my Outback on a Honda minivan. Not exactly easy, but I manage (I'm only 150#).

I assume you will do cartopping and not pull a trailer. If you really want a yak friendly vehicle, that is, for easy loading/unloading, go with a pick-up. The most unfriendly vehicles would be minivans and SUVs. A good compromise, and I would go this route if I bought another vehicle, are station wagons. Good room and low enough to make cartopping fairly easy. Examples are Subaru Outback, Volkwagen station wagon and Volvo station wagon. I personally like the Outback.
                      I also use a Honda Odyssey minivan. Most of my trips are within a 30-minute radius of home. I don't bother with the roof racks -- just fold down the second and third row seats, slide the kayak in, and tie it off. For longer trips, I do have roof racks with Thule saddles.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV-4: Compact SUV's with a fairly high lift to car top. The Honda was highest rated by Car and Driver a couple of years ago.

I used to own a Subaru Outback (actually I had 3 of them from 1992-2010), nice performance, comfortable and an easier lift over. Plus real 4 wheel drive. I towed my 17 ' CC with it, but it wasn't happy about it.
                        More compact: Subaru Forester: shorter wheel base than the Outback. Also a lot less expensive. Good bang for the buck.

I currently own a Honda Pilot, a mid sized SUV, got it to tow the CC. Putting the canoe on top is a PITA, as it is over 6' tall. It worries me every time I go thru the tunnel at Fletcher's. It was higher rated than the Highlander. Mileage is only so-so.

Comment

i bought a honda ridgeline last year. it has a big compartment in the bed where i store all my fishing gear and its lockable.
                          Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I'd look at a wagon...don't know your price point, but Volvo's are great (they've downsized their catalog so a CPO version might come cheaper). I own a VW and love it...although repairs are little steep.... the Jetta Sportwagon TDI is a great car...and being a diesel you'll be able to drive the snot out of it.

Thing about wagons, is you have relatively low roofs, that are long, so theyre easy to load, and won't have the nose hanging too far over. Also can fold down the seats and throw it inside and tie it off w/ the hatch.

Similar to the Subaru Outback is the Toyota Venza. Check out the other Subie's as well (Imprezza/Legacy) all their cars (except BRZ) come w/ AWD.

Comment

Old Jeep Cherokee, they are cheap easy to work on and plenty of storage with the back seat folded down. They get decent MPG and you could probably get one and still buy an every day car to drive to work.
                              Jim

Hobie Outback
                              TKAA member
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X