Bush River At Route 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River At Route 40

I drive down route 40 every day and pass over the Bush River. I see people fishing from the bank but I was wondering about launching there. I could use some help on a few questions.

1. What kind of fish are in that area?

2. Is it cool to park on the side of the road there?

3. Can a kayak get under the bridge at high tide under normal conditions?

I would appreciate any help.

Ed

Ed, yes I have launched from there a few times. I know there are Catfish, White Perch and Bass in there. The place I usually launch from is the bridge between 7-11 and Ponchos Tattoo shop. No issues at all with parking along there at least from my experience, I usually park in the gravel along there anyways just to stay far from traffic. The bank down to the launch is a little steep but if you park on the side towards the bay its a short carry to the river. Yes you can get a Yak under the bridge even at high tide, the most I have had to do was pull my rods out of the holders. If you ever want to fish there shoot me a PM I live near by, once the water temp rises a little more I plan on fishing there for some bass.
    Last edited by mi327; 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be targeting bass as well when the water warms up. How far back does the river go north of the bridge? It's hard to tell on my map. I will def shoot you a PM when I head there. I live in Columbia but I'm a delivery driver in Harford County.

Comment

Originally posted by edwonbass View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply. I will be targeting bass as well when the water warms up. How far back does the river go north of the bridge? It's hard to tell on my map. I will def shoot you a PM when I head there. I live in Columbia but I'm a delivery driver in Harford County.
        Sounds good. I haven't gone all the way back there but I know its gets pretty narrow and shallow back there at least the parts I have been in.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I know if you head to the right when your are launching from the route 40 pull off, there is otter point. I have fished from bank years ago and produced bass and perch. You can also reach it from the Flying Point Park boat ramp. I imagine you can only navigate in the creek so far, but it provides a lot of shade during the summer time water temps.

I plan on hitting the bush river and otter point many times this season, hoping it is productive. It's only a few miles from my house. I have seen some youtube videos of the railroad bridge and docks producing large mouth bass and rockfish. Check out "theworkingman" on youtoube.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks Jeremy! Is there a fee for launching and or parking at Flying Point Park?

Comment

No, Flying point park is free but does not open till 7am. Next to the park is a marina with a $10 launch fee, but no time restrictions. Directly across Kenyard Ave is another free boat ramp with plenty of parking called Willoughby Beach boat launch. It is almost under the amtrak train bridge. I have launched out of there a few times in January scouting the area and have never seen the gate closed...plenty of parking.

Directly across the water of Flying Point park is Otter Point boat ramp. This ramp is free, but parking is limited due to boat trailers and members of the Otter Point Yatch Club which is next door. On the opposite side of the ramp is Otter Point Marina, I believe this has a parking fee so you have to pay attention to where to park. I have not used this ramp, but when I do I will take a walk to the Marina Office to make sure I do not owe any money for parking and get an idea of what spaces are free.

There is also a "pontoon boat Launch" next to the pull of on route 40. This is part of the Estuary, and is a large pier. The hours are thurs-sunday 10am-5pm. Hopefully when the water warms up I will get a chance to fish with mi327, he knows the area well. Until then, I am going to slowly fish the docks and work my way up to Otter Point Creek during the next month and get to know the area and species. If you fish below the train bridge towards the bay, be careful not to paddle ashore. All shorelines and creeks are restricted to civilians due to APG. The only creek that you can enter is Laudrick Creek...check out a Satellite map to get an idea of the area.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Wow, a lot of great info. Thanks so much.

Comment

I was think about fishing bush river this Saturday the 6th. I have a window of early morning till 1pm. Trying to stay local, but all options are on the table. Just no sure if it's worth it there with the low water temps. I would be satisfied bring home a few white perch. Any input or suggestions?
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I'm heading down to Florida this weekend so I won't be around for a couple of weekends. When I get back I'm going to hit the Bush or Tuckahoe on the eastern shore.

Comment

Working...
                    X