No fishing but 2 tackle shop stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fishing but 2 tackle shop stops

I had planned on fishing the Back River on my way back from a conference in North Carolina, but the wind was absolutely howling. The plan was for my wife to drop me off for about 5 hours while she visited a friend, but I didn't bring enough warm clothes to be able to tough it out for that long. The river looked awesome, too, and I had been anticipating speck fishing for a couple of weeks. So basically, I took my kayak for a tour through 3 states for no reason. I stopped at another place to see if the wind was any better, and it was actually colder and windier, so I think I made the right decision. The pain of not fishing would be nothing compared to the pain from my sinuses after spending ~5hrs in 25mph+ winds.

On the upside, I stopped in at Back River Outfitters and talked with Kathy, the owner, on the way to NC. She had the biggest selection of Mirrolures and Bass Assassins I've ever seen. She had models and colors that I've only found on the manufacturer's websites. Plus, she had Redfish Magic lures, Z-man lures, and a killer selection of Gulps. Basically, it was an entire store carrying lures for targeting redfish, specks, and flounder. If she didn't have it, you didn't need it. She also had killer deals on Malibu kayaks--$200 off and a free seat. If I had room in my shed for another yak, I definitely would've brought one home. I saw my wife watching me carefully as I looked over a Stealth after hearing about the discounts. I stocked up on some stuff that I thought would be useful for Sunday's fishing trip. Oh well.

On the way back from NC, I hit Bass Pro. Their speck/redfish lure selection was pretty pitiful compared to Kathy's. I looked pretty carefully at the Abu Garcia Veritas and Bass Pro Carbonlite spinning rods. I think I like the Veritas better--it had nicer guides and was lighter. However, both were out of my budget. I picked up a couple things for the November M&G, though.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make up for my lack of success next week on the South River.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Yeah ........ know what you mean ......... went to Cherrystone and the winds Saturday were 20+ but it was doable with the waves less than 6 inches but the temps seem to be around 40 ......... I would have done it if there was someone else there but I'm still new to this and I want someone around incase I get into trouble .........

Comment

I was wondering how things were where you were. The thing I forgot about that section of Virginia is that there is almost no topography. Around the Patuxent and places around the Potomac, you can find some cliffs or big stands of trees to hide behind. There was none of that around Messick Point.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i hear you, tried KN saturday morning from shore around 5 and the wind was horrible. got a big wind knot and by the time i got it out with frozen fingers my bucktail was snagged and i had to break it off im hoping that things chill out for the weekend.

BPS is the pits for salt water lures, i hate to say it but anglers has a better selection and prices are about the same.

i picked up an inshore series 7' MH fast spinng rod rated to 40# line from BPS last year nice rod, not for perch but when i know big rock are around that rod comes out

Comment

Working...
        X