CatFish Riggin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CatFish Riggin

Hey fellow kayakers just curious what type of rig do you guys use for cat fish also what baits?
    I went out saturday landed 2 catfish so i guess they are hitting again.. So whats your choice of rig & bait?

really any rig that gets the bait on the bottom or slightly above will work. I use a standard top and bottom rig, carolina rig, or fish finder type rig and even hand tied rigs meant for Tautog. Bait choices are pretty endless too, I've caught cats with nightcrawlers, dead minnow, live minnow, fall fish (alive or chunked), chicken, and goose liver. Probably others too...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I usually just use a top and bottom rig and blood worms and works pretty well. I've also used cut up hot dogs and that works (hot dogs come from dad and grandfather)

Comment

x2 top and bottom rig w/ night crawlers. Also have done pretty well jigging sting silvers.

Comment

ive always used chicken livers with a carolina rig

Comment

I use a standard fish finder with an 8/0 circle hook on 80# clear Ande for catfish- same rig I use for red drum-and I use big chunks of cut menhaden
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Same as Ron, but I favor mullet chunks. Mullet is easier to get fresh.

Comment

Fishfinder rig, 6/0 octopus hook, spin-n-glo, pyramid weight (fishfinder works best for me with weight holding bottom well). I usually bring a variety of baits: nightcrawler, cut baitfish, live minnows (hooked through the middle)
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Catfish will eat anything. They're the swine of freshwater and just like bacon, they're equally as tasty.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Oh, I don't know about that- I've seen LM Bass eat baby ducks, mice, snakes, worms, minnows, crayfish, punkinseed perch, frogs, insects...seems to me like catfish are about the same only like theirs a bit ripe-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Had a friend share some pre tied catfish bait. He took some old pantyhose and cut pieces out and then laid in liver and corn meal, pinched up the ends and tied/sewed them up with thread. He popped them in a Tupperware tub a few days before fishing and then just ties the liver pouches to the hook. You and launch these as far put as you want, the bait will not fly off, the fish can't steal it off the hook and the liver/corn meal combo works wonders.

Comment

I like the idea. But what's the cornmeal for? Soaking up the blood and such?

Comment

It seems to hold the blood a little longer in the water and I think it does add some flavor to the mix. Some catfish bait is high in cornmeal content.

Comment

Originally posted by Mmacro View Post
                            It seems to hold the blood a little longer in the water and I think it does add some flavor to the mix. Some catfish bait is high in cornmeal content.
                            Do these rigs work for fresh water cats as well?
                            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

That's what we used it on... Fresh water cats. But any oily or bloody bait will work this way. I used to fish for mullet with doughball bait: same mix as I used for carp.

Comment

Working...
                              X