Input on Ascend FS12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on Ascend FS12?

I'm going to get a fishing kayak. I have a white water one and I grew up in the mountains of NC running rivers and surfing it at the beach in FL. Because of this I'm really comfortable in a closed cockpit boat.
    If having to move every few years for the military was not part of my life I would be getting a Pro Angler. But as it is I just can't justify that amount of money that in 3 years I might not be able to use. So I'm likings more justifiable option. What are he pros and cons to a sit on vs a sit in fishing kayak?
    More specifically I'm leaning towards a Bass Pro Ascend FS12. I have a 4-year old daughter I would like to sit with me to fish calm waters. Is it a decent boat? What do you all like or dislike about them?
    Thanks in advance for the input.

In My Opinion, NO. Its made by Bass Pro and, again IMO, I would not buy anything made by them, or for them.

The old Tarpon molds are casting the prescador kayak as the same company owns both.

Here's a deal
    overtons Perception-Sport-Pescador-10-0-Kayak-Package-Red/Yellow
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

When i was researching for my first sit-on-top kayak last year, the reviews i found on the Ascend were not great, but guys who are on here that DO OWN them may know better. The Field & Stream Models that DICKS Sporting Goods carry got favorable reviews (for a budget boat) and I liked the layout. Ultimately i went with a higher end manufacturer simply because i had the money. Good luck with your search and hopefully some Ascend owners (or former owners) and other entry model owners will reply. SOT kayak fishing is a great way to spend the day and i am sure you will enjoy what ever you get.
      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Ok, since I had it in my mind, that my first purchase would be the Ascend FS12T, from BPS, I would also be anxious to hear from the verterans about this kayak. And, any suggestions on other models as well. All input would be appreciated.
        ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

My first kayak was the Ascend FS10 (SINK) and I thought it was a fine yak for calm water and even took it to the HRBT once. The FS12T would probably be ok, but if you're willing to wait and keep searching you could probably find a better and already rigged yak for a lower price on craigslist or even on here.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I would get the pro angler, or which ever kayak you really want. They will move anything to your next duty station. Even a single person has up to a 4,000-5000 pound allowance. Maybe more. You just have to notify them so that they can make the proper arrangements for shipping, if you don't take it yourself.

I would not settle because of that at all.

Comment

Plus, the Pro Angler, or any other name brand yak will retain its value much better over 3 years.

Comment

IO think the Ascend gets a bad rap, many guys are enjoying them on the water and they certainly seem fast enough. That being said, DOGFISH on this forum has notified us all of sales on the westmarine pompano, which is a 2007 Tarpon Hull. It is fully rigged for fishing minus a seat. I got one for my wife and son to share...$400 on sale. Can't beat that. No real variety in color, but so what.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have an Ascend fs12t. The older model without the new seat and little hatch in the butt/leg groove. It has decent speed, stability, and tracking. It gets uncomfortable during long paddles (at least for me it does) but the new seat may help with that. My other complaint is the molded foot rests dig into my legs but that may or may not be an issue for you since it is due to my being 6' 2" and 280 lb. The plastic on the lower hull is much more pliable than my other kayaks so you have to be careful how you store it so it doesn't deform but, if it does, the deformations usually pop out when it heats up in the sun. I have caught many fish in it and had it in just about every type of water without issue.

Comment

$499 at west marine , DOGFISH may know if it is coming on sale.....video confirms what I said about it being a Tarpon.

Comment

Okay. That really looks like a lot more bang for the buck! And that is why this forum is so great! The information recieved from experienced kayak fishermen is unreal. And not just this "thread". The fishing reports, the rigging tips, and the fishing invites etc. are great. Thank you for the input on this subject.
                      ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Might want to keep an eye on this at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Spo...ds=pescador+12

It's the same Tarpon hull as the West Marine model. Picked it up last September for $386 shipped to my door. It's been running $500-$600 lately but Amazon can have some sudden drastic price drops that may not last long.

This one has only one behind the seat rod holder but does come with the seat.

You can be notified of Amazon price changes and track them from the site linked below. Worth a shot if you are looking. Been very happy with the kayak.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Perceptio...uct/B00776W9Z4

Comment

I sent you a Pm.
                          Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I would go with the prescador or pompano over the BPS kayak. My buddy had one and it has spray foam in the kayak under the seat. The word circulating was BPS had the manufacture go thin, or cheap, on the plastic. The kayak would deform from the persons weight and this was their "Fix". Pop the hatch in the store and see if it has spray foam in it. I sat in it and paddled it, it tracks and was stable enough. Just for the thin plastic I would go with the prescador or pompano.

I never, ever buy anything made for BPS. I have red head clothes not live to expectation, their decoys suck, Tracker boats reputation got worse once they bought them and start making boats but cutting corners. I would buy someone else s products from BPS, but never one of their boats. I can't remember a BPS product that was not cheapened in some way. They have burnt me before and their policy is only a exchange for the same item, not in store credit, they got me on that one too. Sorry to sound harsh, but the store manager cared very little when I complained about items I bought from them that did not perform or live to normal expectations. I have never had that trouble with Cabelas or local shops!
                            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I definitely have had better experiences with BPS than Rob (and I certainly enjoy the guys on the forum who work there), I also love Cabelas....I must just be a Outdoor Super Store junkie. I do think the Pompano is a good boat, though.
                              Last edited by kevinfry; 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X