No announcement yet.

Input on Ascend FS12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found one of these on Craigslist 2 years ago for a great price and have had many great fishing days and a few day long trips. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=4002650
    Not very well known but is a great first kayak. It's quite stable though I don't recommend kneeling or standing. If you want a sit on top you can stand on you might want to look at the Wilderness Ride 115?

Good Luck

Comment

I don't have any problem with the guys that work there, or much of their pricing policy. I have just been disappointed in the quality of every BPS made product. I think its a corporate policy. I will but GHG decoy or FA decoys from them but would not touch a BPS decoy!! I literally scratched paint of one in the store with just my finger nail. Bought a waterfowl jacket listed as "waterproof" that was just sprayed with Teflon, bought duck decoys the paint just fell off of. If its in the store and does not say Redhead or BPS on it, I'll buy it. It's still a nice store otherwise.

I guess I'll never make it on the BPS Pro Staff now.

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
      I definitely have had better experiences with BPS than Rob (and I certainly enjoy the guys on the forum who work there), I also love Cabelas....I must just be a Outdoor Super Store junkie. I do think the Pompano is a good boat, though.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Doesn't seem like anyone mentioned pros and cons.. i can name a few... sit in is harder to get in and out of and has no skupper holes for easy drainage as where the sit on top your on top of the kayak not in it so entry and re entry are a lot easier. Sit in you will roast in the summer time because its closed in sit on top is more open. I have an ascend fs12 fs12t. I Took it out the first day I got it and the bottom got a lotta water in it. I took it to work and they sealed it better with culk and I haven't had any problems since. I agree with the other guy its got some speed and tracks pretty well although i sometimes can't stay straight. when u lift it and drag it along a beach the back end goes all the way left or right never in the middle so make sure u remove everything from the back if ur going to drag it. going to put an.elite 4 in it very soon. I fished all last summer without a fish finder and did pretty good I would say. Waiting for a day off and some warm weather and I'll be going out. Hope this helps ya.

Comment

I appreciate all of the input. Why not keep it going? Now I'm leaning toward the Eagle Talon, from Dicks. 12ft The revies seem to be pretty good.
          Thoughts?? Comentss?
          ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

I would certainly look on Craig's List or forums for good used "name" brand higher quality kayaks- just my 2 cents worth- but SIK vs. SOT kayaks have been debated ad naseum on every kayak forum in the world- depends on what you believe you will use your kayak for- once you decide, there are a mind numbing number of manufacturers, models and types- best advice is go to a dealer and try out a few before you decide- paddle yak or Mirage Drives? Short fat yaks, long skinny (fast) yaks, river yaks or oceans yaks???? lots of choices lots of opinions- one will serve as well as another (and until you compare, you will be satisfied) if you don't know the differences-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It is all mind numbing, but there is no question, my first yak will be a SOT. And since I'm just as happy wet wading a small stream in Balt. Co. for trout and smallies as I am on a bayboat, fishing for rockfish; just being on the water will be enjoyable. No matter which way I go.

It's not a huge investment and if I'm truley not happy with the one I buy, I'll let my son or wife use it and I'll upgrade.

Currently, I work 7 days a week at Pimlico. Won't be recreating much until mid-June. But, I'm really looking forward to getting out, onto some fish, and meeting some of the snaggedline members.

Comment

I have a 2012 FS12 sit on top and love it. I bought it due to price in the begining. Im 6-4 260 lbs and was in it all day Saturday on the gunpowder. I think it is comforable. Just my 2 cents but when I went to buy my boat everyone told me to stay away from a Trophy the same guys that on rough days are at the dock and Im fishing. I will admit the better name brand kayaks seem they are made of thick plactic.
                Ascend FS-12
                2002 Trophy Walk Around "GETHOOKED"

Comment

I have the ascend fs12t all so gets the job done ,you can allways upgrade down the road.0406131855.jpg

Comment

I guess the best thing to do is - STOP OVERTHINKING this. All the input was awesome. I'll get something soon and join you all. Looking forward to it.

Comment

i started with the FS12 since i worked at bass pro.

i had NO complaints. i didnt get much water in mine like rich, did have a slight pull to the left, but man that thing can paddle. Im 6'4 200. my only problem was my legs would go numb sitting in that seat. u need something under ur legs as a prop to release tension. i would have to have both feet in the water to sit in a diff position.

i had a great time with it, the plastic is a little different then most kayaks, but this thing would keep up with the PA with a semi decent paddle stroke.

i took it everywhere, and got hammered with some huge waves at the key bridge and had no problems

first time ever out on a kayak was 2-3 ft waves, and i made it home, never feeling like i was going to flip... russ and louis cant attest to that .. and possibly daddy g
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                      X