Susquehanna Flats Jamboree lure selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Flats Jamboree lure selection

I plan on attending/fishing the Jamboree, while I have experience fishing for largemouth in this area (and that is likely what I will target for part of the day) I don't have any experience fishing for ROCKS in this area...I have on a few occasions in a charter in the lower Chesapeake only. My question and im not asking for anyones super secret baits is: what size jig heads, bucktails are most popular/required to fish here? I have a large selection of hard jerk baits for LMB...should I keep one tied on for ROCKS? Anything you have to offer on the subject would be appreciated. Regards
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

I'm no expert but here's the things I've used/heard of people using: Hard jerk baits, redfins, rattle traps, 1/2 to 2 oz jigheads with sassy shad / bkd / etc., tube-n-worm, silver buddys, crippled herring, Tony Accetta pet spoons, and top water poppers (though the water needs to be warm enough for top water action). That's what comes to mind right off the bat and I'm sure there's more.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I use only soft plastic Bass Assassins (or look-a-likes) from 4" paddletails up to 7" straight tails.

Jig heads from 1/2oz to 3/4oz. Sometimes I go up to 1oz for the 7" BAs but that much weight is rarely needed.

Best colors: chartreuse silver glitter, albino, opening night... all other colors are on second string stand-by.

All time favorite: 5" BA, albino, on a 1/2oz head. Chartreuse silver glitter on same jig runs a very close second.

Attached is a picture of some of the lures I use on the Flats. Those are all home-pours but you'll get the picture. I avoid lures with treble hooks because they can take too much time to unhook fish and they tend to collect water weeds...I'm all about keeping the lure in the water.

saltwater lures.JPG

A big but, if the Susky is running high and muddy then all bets are off. At such times I stay at home.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

image.jpgLast year we were using lipless rattle traps 3/4 oz in shad looking colors, also the Bomber B15A in baby striper worked very well. I'm going to do some experimenting with the new Yumbrellas this year.image.jpg
        Last edited by gkreps; 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I used 4" Bomber jerk baits last year. They worked great except they came with size 6 hooks and we had problems with them bending. I checks some of my other #6 hooks and found they bend just as easy. So, bass lures, but you might need to up size the hooks until it starts to affect the action.

I am not sure if it is the case or not. I did not do well on larger lures, but did better on the bass size lures. but bass lures has #6 hooks not the #4 or #2 I should have had.
          Later on in the summer I caught 9" stripers on 3/4oz rat-l-trap, but in April on the flats the would not hit the 3/4 and was catching them on the 1/2 oz. Maybe its a match the hatch thing in bait size, WAG. I used 6" diving lures and did not produce at the same spot the 4" jerk bait did. Smaller better?? Small lure with big hooks??
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
            I'm going to do some experimenting with the new Yumbrellas this year.
            I got one with 3 willows on it and thinking of running two swimbaits or swimbait inlines on it for extra flash. Hoping the later does not tangle up in casting.

Are lures considered Barbless if you mash the bark closed?
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
              yes.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I have only fished one time on the flats, but it was a successful day. I launched from Tydings Marina on 4/30 last year and paddled out the marina channel. When I reached about 5 ft depth, I began trolling two rods. One had a 1-oz jighead with a 5" paddle tail plastic in red and chartreuse. On the second rod I trolled a 6" Storm swim shad. Over the next 4 hours, I caught 22 rockfish up to 24" by slowly trolling around. After the first 30 mins, I removed the Storm and trolled two of the paddle tails. The catching was steady enough that I never bothered using any other lures. I'm sure it is not always that easy.

004.jpg 005.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My eyes are burning reading up on all the past flats threads!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Anybody fish Furnace bay last year?
                    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                    484-459-9863
                    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

What about bucktails with a teaser/trailer? Haven't seen them mentioned. Thought possibly of using some of my smaller sized ones instead of a jig head. No good?

Also would like to know what line weights everyone is using. I'm planning on 15 lb. mono but am feeling a little unsure.

Christ I'm excited. Can't wait. First time.

Comment

I got one with 3 willows on it and thinking of running two swimbaits or swimbait inlines on it for extra flash. Hoping the later does not tangle up in casting.

Are the rules/regulations requiring barbless?

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                          Are the rules/regulations requiring barbless?
                          Barbless or circle hooks with a max gap of 1 inch I think it was.

I'll be throwing soft plastics on weighted and weightless hooks and some x-raps. May drop a couple topwater plugs if the temps start climbing. 15lb line should be plenty as long as you use your drag since it is pretty wide open.

Comment

I am pretty sure is Barbless only when trolling. from the website on catch and release season "Barbless hooks are required when trolling."

I know jigs and BA as known as the go to lure, but I watched guys fishing with them all day last year. It was the only lure they brought and they could not buy a fish. That was last year, so who knows, it might be the go to lure this year. It depends on the fish. I am going to throw 20 different lures in 2 to 4 hours until they start pounding on something. Bring lots of different types of lures!!

Comment

I am pretty sure is Barbless only when trolling. from the website on catch and release season "Barbless hooks are required when trolling."

I know jigs and BA as known as the go to lure, but I watched guys fishing with them all day last year. It was the only lure they brought and they could not buy a fish. That was last year, so who knows, it might be the go to lure this year. It depends on the fish. I am going to throw 20 different lures in 2 to 4 hours until they start pounding on something. Bring lots of different types of lures!!

Yes barbless only when trolling is the way I read it.
                              I'm sure my extensive collection of lures will be missing this years hot one. Or if I do have it it will be the wrong color or size. May have to drop a couple of hundred more bucks on tackle and still hope I ain't missing the one I need.

Comment

Working...
                              X