Planning a Susquehanna double-header for Mon April 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a Susquehanna double-header for Mon April 8

According to windfinder.com, the winds near Havre de Grace should be quite low on Mon morning. I am planning a double-header fishing excursion tomorrow.

I plan to arrive early at the lower Susquehanna and spend the first part of the morning fishing for shad from the shoreline. About mid-morning (or sooner if the shad bite is dead), I will drive to Tydings park in Havre de Grace and spend the next 3-5 hours trolling several soft plastic paddletails and Storm swim shads from my kayak hoping to find some rockfish on the Flats.

It sounds like another group of guys are heading out early on Mon. Maybe I will run into you on the water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like fun! I enjoy wading for shad where Deer Creek enters the Susquehanna, but the slippery rocks getting to your spot are lethal. Saw some old timers with ski poles for extra balance...wise old men.

I always keep an eye on the older men, they know how to catch the fish...they have been doing it for a long time. Us younger guys with our fancy rattlin crankbaits and scented plastics can still get out fished by these fishing prophets.

I will look for you on the flats, just look for the guy sitting on top the turtled kayak...that be me
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      According to windfinder.com, the winds near Havre de Grace should be quite low on Mon morning. I am planning a double-header fishing excursion tomorrow.

I plan to arrive early at the lower Susquehanna and spend the first part of the morning fishing for shad from the shoreline. About mid-morning (or sooner if the shad bite is dead), I will drive to Tydings park in Havre de Grace and spend the next 3-5 hours trolling several soft plastic paddletails and Storm swim shads from my kayak hoping to find some rockfish on the Flats.

It sounds like another group of guys are heading out early on Mon. Maybe I will run into you on the water.
      I fished the mouth of deer creek today from 6:30 until 11:30 since I decided it was probably too windy to try the flats today. I caught 23 shad, 18 of them coming before 8:00. Used shad darts the whole time. I'd recommend getting there early if tomorrow is anything like today with the bite slowing down significantly about an hour after sunrise. The bite seemed to turn back on again around 10:30 a little below the mouth where I could see others catching them but no luck where I was.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
      X