Heading out to the Northeast Rive again today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading out to the Northeast Rive again today

Meeting Russ at 830 at the park and then onto a whale of a fishing adventure and some fishy tales...... hopefully now that I figured out how to use my new video camera I will have proof of fish caught today....
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Today's trip was one mess shy of a total disaster. I got my new video camera working and was real happy about being able to document today's catch. I headed to my productive area and turned on the video camera..... after a few minutes or maybe even less..... beep beep beep sounds coming from the camera... what the heck is that.... battery warning... they are dying.... off with the video camera and on with the fishing... very nest cast my jig lands on top of a bulk head wall.... no problem I will just go ove there and lift that jig right up off the wall... I reel most of the line in so that i have enough to pick the jig straight up and off the bulk head.... I give it a little tug.... kkkkkrrrrraaaacccckkkkkk.... i now own a custom made two piece rod .... okay, I've had rods break before, it happens.... so down I go to my favorite fishing area.... remember guys and gals, I am fishing in a sit on top kayak.... I am fishing the pilings on a pier and the wind picks up when I realize I forgot to put on my pfd. So I reach back for it, I left it on the back of the kayak and and behold, it is not there.... So, retracing my steps so to speak of about 3 miles I head all the way back in keeping my one good eye open for a floating pfd... nada.... I get all the way back to the launch area and sure enough, there it is perched on a fence pole by some nice person..... back out to fish.... not much happening other than foul hooking an 8 inch shad and getting a lot of shad bites.... oooohhh, there is a nice bass, feels pretty heavy and is pulling hard, and it's off before I get to see it.... and then another one righ next to that stick up and this one feels bigger and better, better make sure the hook is set, wham, drove that hook home.... and right out of the fishes mouth.... oh well... Hey, my kayak is not steering right and it's sluggish and sitting low in the water... I open up the hatch and he inside of the kayak is filled with, not air, but water.... so I make an erratic bee line to the nearest shore area and drain the 100 gallons or so of river water out of it. Better not take any chances and begin the journey back... but it is still warm and calm and beautiful out so I decide to head back via my favorite fishing spot. Throwing a pearl white rattle trap I hit a snag, a big heavy snag, a big heavy living snag, a big heavy living swimming snag, a big heavy living swimming in the opposite direction that I need to go snag...... After a few hundred yards of being pulled along by the loch ness monster of the northeast river.... or was it a big foul hooked carp... it finally broke free of the rattle trap and I was in danger of going down and under with my kayak... another beeline to the closest shore line to bail out the kayak and then a straight shot to the launch area and from there to my kayak dealer to get a brand new kayak for which I will pay 0 because it is fully warranted and I am on their fishing team .. Okay, so now am home, and my legs are sun burned because someone forgot to pull his long pant legs down after launching his kayak..... Yup, just another typical day in the life of docirv, the fishing fool....

Thankfully Russ was there to watch over me and keep me safe... We should do it again soon, Russ, with some variation on the theme of today for sure...
      484-459-9863
      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Ahahaha! It's amazing how some days when it rains, it pours. Did you find where you are taking in water? What model are you using? A few of us have had the same issue and Hobie's taken care of it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I know where it is taking in the water and Hobie is replacing it. I sure wish they would beef up that area around the pedal well....
          484-459-9863

Comment

Wow, quite a story. Glad you made it out in one piece!
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That was a tough day. Hopefully you got the bad luck out of your system for the rest of the year. Go get em next time.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yikes! Sorry bout your luck.

Comment

Hey Doc, could you remind us of what year and model Hobie you had so many of us can keep a good eye on it?

Thanks!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Although my part of the story cannot match Doc's, he did lend me a bit of his *&%$^#$^ bad luck. On my third cast, I lost a brand-new eight dollar lure to a snag. I installed my brand-new, fancy pants, Lowrance touchscreen fishfinder. I found out that my current battery will run it for all of two hours and then conks out. Two or three hits, but not one fish made it to the boat. While unloading the kayak, I discovered that my very favorite ultralight rod was missing. Maybe Doc snatched it to replace the one he broke??? On my way home down Route 95, another motorist waved me down to tell me that the tag fell off my trailer two miles back. And all this cost me about $100 between tolls, ramp fees and fuel. MAN, I love to fish.

Comment

Russ -

That was a tough day for you too. I had the same experience with 2-hour battery life after I switched from a black & white FF to a color FF/GPS. The special battery you brought me from Daddyg has a much longer life span. Try to get one of those from him.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

So, is the lesson here, do not go fishing with luckless Russ and, or Doc?
                        484-459-9863

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
                          So, is the lesson here, do not go fishing with luckless Russ and, or Doc?
                          Got the baits in the other day Doc. They look awesome!! Excited to get them in the hands of some people at the MAKBF event 4/27 and the CBKA event 9/13!! Thanks again and everyone please checkout docirvcustombaits.com I think Irv has every mold ever made.

Comment

that sounds like a usual eventual day of fishing with russ haha im just kidding.

something always seems to happen

ive left my mirage drive at the naval base and paddle. and we had to drive all the way back to get it. Usually leave my wallet in his car. Break rods. loose fish, or get skunked

but the mans LOVES to fish, and eat them haha. well get this funk off his yak and get him going great.
                            Zach Moore
                            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                            Bait Towel Pro Staff
                            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                            X