Dec/Jan M&G Idea - Clinic and Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec/Jan M&G Idea - Clinic and Fishing

I have another possibility for either Dec or Jan.

We could get together for a couple hours around 10:00 am on a Satruday have a clinic, Ryan at Easton Cycle said he would host, show us how to install rod holders, fishfinders, GPS etc talk about other gear. He has a nice little shop. Probalby get the local fishing shop owner to stop by and talk about fishing techniques. (These same shops have shown some interest in sponsoring a kayak fishing tournament for us next spring or summer.)

Then we go to lunch and for those of you who want to fish we could try Wye Mill Lake in the afternoon, small lake 4-8 ft of water, largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish sunfish. On a warm winter day usually catch something. Winter fishing can be tough but the lake is sheltered and would be good practice even if the fish were not biting. There are 3-5 lb largemouth and they will bite in the winter with the correct technique. It is is near the RT 404 - Rt 50 intersection on the eastern shore, 15 minutes from Bay Bridge. Would need a freshwater license.

Let me know what you think, if enough yakers are interested can set something up.

FYI, I have been working, will be back fishing in December. I still have the bag of lures from the September M&G, will throw them in next M&G I make.

Hey Bryan, good to hear from you! Great idea on the winter clinic. I'd be interested. Although for December I've heard talk of a M&G at Kiptopeke. That's on my bucket list so if it happens would like to make that one.

Maybe target Jan, Feb or March. Would this be a "rigging party" where those that aren't rigged yet could bring their kayaks and work on them with oversight from the staff conducting the clinic? Or, more of a "how to" demonstration?

Getting local businesses to sponsor kayak fishing tournaments would be great. It would promote the sport and further organize it in Maryland. Plus, provide prize incentives! We all could save a few bucks on lures!

By my count we had 12 guys at yesterday's M&G. Not bad for an informal, grass roots, internet forum organized gathering. With business sponsorship we could double or maybe triple that! The first kayak tournament I ever participated in was via WKFA.org in central VA. Yakattack & ARC were major sponsors and prize providers. There were 25-30 participants. Can you imagine 25 kayakers hitting the bridge?!? Now THAT would generate some chatter on the various forums!

Comment

hey brian very interested in a winter clinic. haventbeen to a m&g yet with work and all. will definately make one of those. want to learn how to fish the bay and water that is deeper than 4 feet. me and my cousin fish the susqe from port deposit to the dam. most of it is vey shallow.

Comment

Will talk with Ryan see what he would be willing to do for the clinic, if it would be a show and tell or if we could bring our kayaks and actually rig them that day.

Don't want to interfere with the Kiptopeke trip, might plan this for January.

We will see how much interest there is, could use this M&G as an excuse to get together during the winter, have lunch, plan next year -tournament, M&G ideas etc and talk about kayak fishing in general.

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
          hey brian very interested in a winter clinic. haventbeen to a m&g yet with work and all. will definately make one of those. want to learn how to fish the bay and water that is deeper than 4 feet. me and my cousin fish the susqe from port deposit to the dam. most of it is vey shallow.
          susqester, you need to show us the ropes up there during the flats season this spring!

Comment

never been in the flats but will be this spring. we fish the susqe up where the boats cant get. usually catch a few stripers at dusk or dawn then smallies and perch. caught a 24 in walleye also. cant wait til spring. you guys can come along anytime.

Comment

Working...
            X