Spa Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa Creek

Kinda killed it today, 12 rockfish (2 keeper sized) and 2 big perch all on kastmaster spoon. Does anyone else on here ever fish Spa Creek?

I saw that on my way to the M&G this weekend... where did you put in at?

MYT

Comment

Wow i went to st. Marys as a little kid and spa would be one of the last places id expect to catch a dozen rock. Nice job.
      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I wrote about that in a thread a few weeks back. Spa Creek is a sleeper. Piers and docks line the shore. Its a natural for structure and fish. It is also protected, when the wind blows. Good for the perch patrol.

You can launch a Truxton Park. It is off Tyler Ave. and Primrose Rd. Make a left at Primrose Road.

Comment

Thanks Dogfish! I must have missed that post... might have to get out there for some Perch action soon!

MYT

Comment

I fished Spa Creek a few years ago during the winter. I was looking for pickerel and found them up to 23". I caught some nice white perch and yellow perch, too. It's been a while since I've been back there, but it sounds like it's about time to hit it again. Thanks for the report. Did you guys launch at Truxtun?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yeah, launch at Truxton. Only caught rock in the creek so far and mostly small. Moved here a year and a half ago from the lower eastern shore and have fished the creek only this fall. About a month ago I hooked into something big just east if Acton Cove and lost it on ultralight gear. Maybe it was one of those big pickerel? Who knows, anyway the fish have been gettng bigger and bigger as the water temp drops. There is some depth to the channels in the creek and the drop off in some areas is pretty drastic so I'm guessing that near those cuts and around structure there could be potential for larger fish as the bigger ones come up the bay, etc. The fish I got today were deep and I tended to hook up on very slow, jerky retrieves.

Someone once told me to not eat fish from the creek, I havent yet, anyone know anything about that?

Comment

If you go further out towards the mouth of the creek the fish will get larger. I used to fish the Naval Academy sea wall. I used to bucktail that area. However, a Kastmaster worked along the wall should also be good. The creek is wall to wall piers, which have always been good for white perch. There is a guy who comes into West Marine, buying blood worms, and he is always talking about the huge white perch he is catching right off his dock in Spa Creek. When launching my boat, I used to watch the kids catching perch from the park pier.

Don't forget to fish around the bridge pilings. I use to bucktail around the bridge with bucktails tipped with peeler crab. We would always catch just keeper size rockfish, with an occasional surprise sized fish.

I have not heard about not eating the fish. People have been eating the fish and crabs from that creek for many many years. If you have any concerns about eating anything from the creek, give DNR or the state Department of the Environment a call.

Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah the bridge was where the late afternoon bite was going off, most definitely. I fished the sea wall for about 30 min but the boat traffic was kind of killing me, it felt fishy there though. Also a bite off of the eastport yacht basin. There is a deep spot or trench just northeast of the wall, despite minimal wake zone it can get hairy right there with the wave bounce. So yeah, Ive never seen anyone else fishing in the creek and I must admit I get some satifsfaction paddling around million dollar yachts wearing my redneck PBR baseball hat with license holder pinned to the mesh back!

Good to know about the palatability as well, thanks!

Comment

I know, I was surprised that the fish were chasing a Kastmaster. When I was fishing the South River, the day before the fish wanted the bait dropped right in front of them. They would not chase a bait. It is amazing the different conditions on similar days.

As some one who fishes the South River on a regular basis, I know about boat wake. However, just let the kayak handle the wake and you will be ok. Kayaks can take alot of rough water.

Comment

Working...
                    X