cbbt launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbbt launch

Im just trying to get some information on where everybody launches to fish the cbbt. Where do you park your vehicle? Is there a certain address I could use for GPS? And my next question is do you have to go all the way to the first island to find fish, or do you think pilings closer to shore will hold any? Never have fished the cbbt and plan to do so this summer.Thanks for any advice.

There are many parking areas along the public roads there. For example, Oceans Ave. There are fish along all the hundreds of pilings up to the 1st island. For more info, do a search on this Forum. There's a lot of info on safety precautions, what to expect, where to fish, how to fish, what bait/lure to use, when to fish and where to park. Hope that helps.

If you've never fished there, recommend you have experience with open water yaking and understand what you're up against. Best if you go with someone who's been there, especially when fishing conditions can change on the fly.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

what Tuf said. Generally, you can launch anywhere on the beach and park along the street. I think the most important thing when you park is to make sure you are off the pavement and look at the no parking zone signs. Current out by the 1st island can rip like crazy, fish with experience.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm not saying don't fish there. I've fished there dozens of times and I regard that place with respect. On a number of trips I thought the water was OK, only to later find myself in ripping currents, overhead thunderstorms and scary wind gusts. Ever yak in 3-4 foot swells? With white caps hitting your yak? I have, and it scared the s____ out of me. You need to feel comfortable on how to work and manuever your yak to face big swells and waves.

You should be in good physical condition too. Can you sustain continuous paddling for hours in ripping currents and winds? When you're out there 3 miles away from shore and you've had a full day of fishing, will you have the energy to come back in not-so-ideal wx conditions?

I'm just trying to say you need to understand what you can face so you're prepared for the unexpected.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

If you careful plan the trip based on tides, you should be OK- if you get caught out off the first Island in peak tide flow the current averages 3-5 knots- I wouldn't feel comfortable fighting that much current in my Hobie Outback- I would recommend a piling anchor to catch the front of the piling (marine growth) and wait out the tide current
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've been there once... Parked on the street.

I spent most of the time pedaling (hobie)... Got to first island, current was ripping, had just enough energy to get back halfway before tide went slack. I fished a bit and caught some croaker, then headed back to shore when the tide started moving again. It's definitely a workout.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

For GPS use "alexanders on the bay" resturaunt. You can park in the street after you unload next to alexanders. Your question about if there are fish before the first island is two sided. Yes there are fish before the island but there are more fish closer to the island. You will not know how you are going to respond to conditions unless you experience them. Go! Its a good time. PM me if you need more specifics.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

.......... what they said and watch the waves and the winds .......... if it is calm and you start to see little ripples on the surface then understand things are about to change ....... usually within a 1/2 hour ........ been out many time in my center console when that happened ......... now I usually start heading toward shore in the boat when that happens because I've seen it go from dead calm to 6' plus and back to calm in 1 tide change. 1 day we were trapped behind 1 of the islands watching really big waves coming under the bridge and several hours later it was dead calm ............

Alot of people fish the bridge ......... just give it ALOT of respect ......... remember .... you're about a mile or so from the open ocean ........

Comment

Working...
                X