No announcement yet.

Please talk me out of a Hobie!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew advantages of a Hobie when I started yak fishing. I bought a Trident anyway, and found it to be a great yak. Caught a lot a fish from it. I soon came to learn that a Hobie is better for fishing. I finally bought a Hobie after over a year with my Trident (even had an electric motor retrofitted). I can't think of not using a Hobie for fishing now, especially because I like fishing open bay waters and around rocks, pilings, etc. Did I regret my Trident buy? No, because I learned off it and it gave me appreciation for a Hobie. I still have my Trident, but it's a "spare" or "back-up."
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I agree with tufnik.

I started with a cheap 10 foot kayak from dicks. Good for small ponds, and that's about it. Then I was given a link to a craigslist ad for an older prowler 13. I had read that the prowlers were a great "all around" kayak. So i bought it. Then after trying to fish the bay bridge with some good current coming through, I had my mind made up. It was hobie time. Still have the prowler.

Sparky,

The only question you should be asking yourself is, which hobie is best for me?

I can meet up with you sometime if you want and we can do some fishing. I will let you try out that outback. Just let me know.

Comment

The way I see it, and this is in no way meant to infer that my way is the right way which it is for me..... There are two type of persons who fish out of a kayak. One is the kayaker who wants to fish, so he chooses a paddle kayak to be true to the kayak, the second is the fisherman who wants to fish out of a kayak, that is me, and the pedal drive system is the only way to go.... I spend the vast majority of my time on the water being able to fish and not having to constantly drop my rods and pick up a paddle. So, in a nutshell, which do you want to do, be a kayaker who fishes or a fisherman who uses a kayak?
        http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
        484-459-9863
        If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
        *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

well said doc.

Comment

If money is not a question, it's not even close. Far Better stability, tons more range, wind doesnt blow you around, any water is fishable and, I think most importantly, the ability to keep moving and cast without monkeying with a paddle constantly. I had to save up some money for mine but would do it again in a heartbeat.

And as far as the purity of kayaking goes--you're still powering yourself around on a kayak, using legs instead of arms...not so sure what the purist sacrifices going the Hobie route

Comment

Get a Hobie. Keep the tarpon outside.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

He will. Once a person sees them in action, and considers getting one, it is way to late to talk them out of it. Just a matter of time. Was for me.

Comment

Stop whispering so loud, I can hear you.

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                  He will. Once a person sees them in action, and considers getting one, it is way to late to talk them out of it. Just a matter of time. Was for me.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post

And as far as the purity of kayaking goes--you're still powering yourself around on a kayak, using legs instead of arms...not so sure what the purist sacrifices going the Hobie route
                    LOL if it's a PA about 45 lbs (loaded).....Kitkatyaker nearly killed me as we tried to drag her PA through the sand last June. I don't think my heartrate returned to normal for 3 hours.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Hahaha...Sparky already takes 30 minutes to set up before launch!
                      I don't know what the heck you guys do before you launch, but I take it off the truck, plug in my cart and FF on and I'm in the water....and I pack pretty deep.

Sparky, for fishing the flats you really want a hobie because of all the distance you're likely to put in as well as the wind/current. If you stick close to launch, you'll be just fine. I thought you were never going to make it back to land paddling against the current like that! Oftentimes, I'll "tread" water up there while I cast along the weed beds or jig. You just can't do that with a paddle. Rip off the band aid. Seriously though, you won't be sorry. I was just at backyard boats today looking at the pro angler 12 and 14. I love the outback, but if I get a second one at some point, it may be the PA12.

In the summer months lets go out and drift through the weed beds with some top water. If this year's LMB catch rate is any indication, it should be exciting. Perhaps it'll be great when the cicadas come out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Sparky,

I too started with a Tarpon T120 back in 2004. I love my Tarpon. Hobie was not big back then. I know have a Hobie Revolution and love it. Even though my Tarpon and I have had many successful outings and good memories, I dread fishing in anything now than a Hobie. Sorry.... you should buy one. I like what Doc said. As for storage, I still have my Tarpon. It is suspended in the ceiling on my garage, just incase I have to loan it to a friend when we both go out together and they do not have a kayak.

Comment

Yep- all been said- Tuf got his Outback and Moc got his Revolution- that was it- I got my Outback a month later- I still have my Prowler and use it in the Mattawoman weeds fishing for snakeheads, and when my Daughter wants to come with me- but like Tuf said-
                          Once you have fished out of a Hobie you don't want to fish out of anything else- I completely agree with Doc Irving- there are kayakers who fish and there are fishermen who kayak...get the Hobie-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Jeremy, I'm convinced on a hobie myself. A hobie outback in ivory dune color. Unfortunately it will have to wait til next year unless I can find a good deal. Still gonna keep the ok for backup.
                            2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                            2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
                            Rob

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas! The members of this site are top notch people, I think I know where this thread is headed

I do love my tarpon Moc, and Docirv said it best. When I first got my kayak, people gave me a weird glance when I told them it was going to be used for fishing. I do enjoyed the paddling and the beautiful outdoors, but this vessel will be used primarily as a fishing workhorse. I already have my tarpon on the garage ceiling, if there was space for two I would not have this dilemma. Honestly, life is too complicated for me right now to keep track of two kayaks as stupid as that sounds.

If I follow through, it's going to be the outback or the revo 13. I do like the revo 11, but my latest hobby of eating cheesesteaks is putting a hamper on weight capacity, LOL. I like the speed of the revo 13, but do I need the speed? The outback is more stable, but I hear of slapping under the hull is loud and it's like driving a barge. It might come down to the ability to rig. I have adopted the "less is more" philosophy, but I am anal about where accessories go. Appearance and neat installations are key to me being comfortable on my kayak.

If I do sell my kayak...it's going to be a "one stop shop and save" as is, fully loaded.
                              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

i own 3 Hobie Outbacks. Have no idea why someone would say you can't take them in grass, weeds, rivers, etc. I have taken mine right up in the saltmarsh grass in less than 6inches of water, You can pulsate the fins on the bottom of the Hobie and move through the saltmarshes. I have taken mine down on the potomac and gone right up in the lilly pad areas and fished all day with no issues. My buddy has a paddle kayak and we were snakehead fishing on the Potomac last year and it was windy. He could not paddle fast enough to stay up with the wind and tide, so I tied him to my Outback and towed him up into a channel where the wind was calmer. He was amazed that not only was I going along with no big effort, but alson towing his kayak. Hobie's are powerful kayaks that can be used anywhere. My son and I took them up to Harpers ferry and kayaked 15 miles of the river with no issues. In fact, we would get in the fast water, turn the Hobie's around and slow pedal and hold our position while we fished areas no paddle kayak could have fished without anchoring.

I also workout with my Hobie on the Severn...I go about 4-5 miles 3 times a week in the morning, takes me about an hour, no way a paddle kayak could keep up or get that kind of work out. I also put a Stand n Fish on my hobie to fly fish off my hobie. Love it. Went to Isle of Palm SC with my Hobies and we toured through the back waters. Those channels can get some real current when the tides change and we were able to go easily against the tide current...we saw a couple of other kayak'rs and they had to turn around when trying to go against the current. Hobie's are incredible.

Ain't no way no one is going to convince me that any other kayak, other than a hobie is the best kayak to fish from in all fishing locations and situation. Been there, done it, and totally convinced.

Comment

Working...
                                X