Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got hook!

Hi Everybody,

I like to introduce myself. My name is Khanh. I just recently get into fishing after my sister told me that we have Snakeheads in the Potomac. I start fishing from shore and quickly realize that I'm much better off with a kayak. So, I'm shopping for a kayak. Since I'm new to kayak fishing and I'll be fishing very shallow water, I'm considering buying a Ride 115 kayak : http://www.kayakcity.com/wilderness-...2012-closeout/

I'll appreciate any advice either on a different kayak or how and where to hook on some Snakeheads. I live in Woodbridge, VA. So, I mostly will fish at Occoquan, Pohick bay, Leesylvania. If anyone want to go fish for Snakeheads, feel free to hit me up.

Khanh

Welcom to the forum. If you don't mind taking a drive you should check out Appomattox river company http://www.paddleva.com/. They have a great selection and if you go in person you may be able to haggle with them and knock some $ off the price. I have purchased three kayaks from them and they usually knock $100.00 off the price. They are also great people.
    Last edited by Moschedmi; 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM.
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

ARC is great, they will beat pretty much any price and ship it to you! Here's another option as well- http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...k--dsh-/Detail
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Check out Mattawoman Creek for snakehead... not too far from you. But they're pretty much all over the Potomac.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Geez, this guy caught 50 snakehead in the Potomac recently. whoa! go get 'em!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...le.asp?ID=2833
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Hey Khan,

I just posted a thread in "The Tackle Shop"...I am selling my 2013 Tarpon, not sure what price range you are in? It's fully rigged and ready to go, it's only 6 months old. I just purchased a Hobie, but parting with the Tarpon is really hard,,,it's a great kayak.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              ARC is great, they will beat pretty much any price and ship it to you! Here's another option as well- http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...k--dsh-/Detail
              I think I might go with your suggestion for a lighter kayak. I know I will get a hobie later on for fishing other species and for traveling long distance. Should I go with Malibu Mini or Malibu Stealth 9? The same website also has Malibu Stealth 9 for $596. I think the Stealth 9 would be better for fishing right?

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

I think I'm more interested in a stable grab n go kayak at the moment. Like you, I will get a Hobie kayak later on for targeting other species but that's later when I have extra cash.

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Hey Khan,

I just posted a thread in "The Tackle Shop"...I am selling my 2013 Tarpon, not sure what price range you are in? It's fully rigged and ready to go, it's only 6 months old. I just purchased a Hobie, but parting with the Tarpon is really hard,,,it's a great kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Geez, this guy caught 50 snakehead in the Potomac recently. whoa! go get 'em!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...le.asp?ID=2833
                  Definitely his honey hole! Too bad he didn't share any info such as lures, water depth.

Comment

Go for that ride, at that price you can't go wrong with it. Maybe we run into each other at one of the parks in Northern VA. I'm thinking about going snakehead hunting tomorrow at Pohick if weather permits. I'll post the outcome afterwards. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                      I think I might go with your suggestion for a lighter kayak. I know I will get a hobie later on for fishing other species and for traveling long distance. Should I go with Malibu Mini or Malibu Stealth 9? The same website also has Malibu Stealth 9 for $596. I think the Stealth 9 would be better for fishing right?
                      I have a Malibu stealth 12 and love it so I doubt you will be disappointed with the 9'. I try to split my time between my stealth and native slayer but I still love my stealth, very hard to compete with its stability.
                      Kodi B. from MD/PA
                      Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                        Woah that price on the mini x is pretty good. I would also suggest a wilderness systems tarpon 100. I bought one last year as my "grab and go" kayak and I really like it. It is light, it tracks well, and the track system is handy. I also considered the ride 115, but when I went to check it out in person, it was a lot heavier than I had hoped. I then checked out the tarpon 100 for kicks and really liked it. I haven't tried standing on it yet...but I think it should be stable enough to stand in, too.
                        Sun Fishin'

Comment

If you can, check them out in person and paddle them both. I think the stealth 9 is heavier and has a lot of nice features, it may also be easier to stand in because it is wide. I haven't paddled either, but I have always heard good things about the mini-x. John Veil has one, you might read some of his reports/review on the mini. The tarpon 100 is also a great grab and go kayak, I spent a week in one last year and found it to be quite capable even on larger water- much slower than my revo though!
                          Last edited by Redfish12; 04-24-2013, 07:48 AM.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Welcome Khanh!

I can't give you any advice on kayaks because Hobie was the first thing I got into (and not too long ago either).

Snakehead is one specie I am itching to get into! I heard Pohick Bay is a good place to catch them as well. The next couple of weeks are tied up for me, but hopefully soon we can meet on the water. I'm interested in different ways to cook snakehead that you can share with us... if you have any suggestions. I've heard in some south Asian countries they roast the fish even before gutting it and it makes for really moist meat.

Good luck with the kayak purchase
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The Mini-X is a fun little boat for short trips or for times when you don't want to fuss with lots of gear. It is light (39 lbs) and fits inside of my minivan with the doors closed. I bought mine used at about the same price as the website you listed. That is an excellent price for that boat.

The Mini-X is wide and stable. I am 6'4" and 245 lbs -- even though the Mini-X is short and light, it still fits me adequately.

I don't stand up in any kayak, so I cannot tell you if it is practical for standing. Because it is wide and has a relatively flat bottom, it spins on a dime. That also means that it does not track straight in any kind of breeze. It has a nice closed storage bin just in front of the seat and comes with 4 flush mount rod holders.

It is probably too small and light to be your every-day hard-core fishing machine. But for occasional fishing trips, it works great. I caught plenty of perch and rockfish from the Mini-X last Sept while my Manta Ray was in the shop.

If you want a test ride before buying, meet me in Annapolis some time.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X