Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should I go for the maiden voyage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go for the maiden voyage?

I'm thinking about going out for the maiden voyage tomorrow morning(weather permitting). This is more of a get to know you than actual fishing trip, but I'll probably take a rod along. I was leaning towards Weems Creek, Jonas Green, or Quiet Waters as a launch point. Any input is appreciated.

Weems puts you into a quiet and sheltered area, which is great on a windy day -- do not park there if you use a trailer. Jonas Green puts you into the main river, but is still a great place to launch.

Quiet Waters Park does not give close-by access to the water. You will need to haul (hopefully with wheels) a long distance before reaching the water. You can also launch at Truxton Park or at the small boat launch in Back Creek (next to Bert Jabins yacht yard).

Have fun with the new boat.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Where did you end up going? I'm looking to make my second trip this weekend or Monday.
      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
        Where did you end up going? I'm looking to make my second trip this weekend or Monday.

Weems Creek, launched from the Tucker Street ramp. The fishing wasn't great, but I grew up in West Annapolis/Wardour so it was cool to check out the area having been gone for so long. I really didn't intend to fish much just wanted to get to know the boat. In a trip of about two hours I determined that a longer paddle would be preferable and I need to adjust the rudder pedals. Only two boats came through so very little experience with wake/waves.

I waffled on buying with or without a rudder and ultimately decided to go with a rudder. Early on it was apparent that I made the right decision. In a light breeze the rudder kept me drifting in a straight line along a couple of sea walls without touching the paddle. I'll probably make another trip or two in that area and then start venturing out into the Severn etc. Definitely not ready for the Bay Bridge by any stretch of the imagination, but it will come.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummerfan View Post
          I'm thinking about going out for the maiden voyage tomorrow morning(weather permitting). This is more of a get to know you than actual fishing trip, but I'll probably take a rod along. I was leaning towards Weems Creek, Jonas Green, or Quiet Waters as a launch point. Any input is appreciated.
          Congrats on the new boat!! WHat kind did you get??

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
            Congrats on the new boat!! WHat kind did you get??

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Jackson Cuda

Comment

Working...
            X