Trying the Flats on Tues April 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying the Flats on Tues April 30

Last year I made my first ever trip to the Flats on April 30. I had low expectations, but found lots of stripers to 24" that day. I am very aware of the many poor catching reports this year for the Flats. I did fish the Flats a few weeks ago and found no stripers but had a great time catching big LMBs and a carp.

So I may be running a fool's errand, but I decided to commemorate the anniversary of my successful trip last year and plan to launch from Tydings Marina tomorrow morning. Rain is no longer in the forecast for tomorrow. The windfinder.com site calls for 8-9 mph winds from the east all morning. That is not optimal for fishing from Tydings, but unless it is too rough, I will give it a shot. My goal is to launch between 7:30 and 8:00 and paddle for 3 -4 hours. Anyone else who is interested is welcome to come along.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Dang the reports, full speed ahead!!! You are indeed a glutton for punishment... but apparently so am I because I'm looking at Thursday or Friday (May 2 or 3). Wind looks a bit better on those days. It just can't be as bad as everyone says it is or as bad as what I experienced first hand on Saturday. I'll find them!!! (Famous last words.) Anyway, if you make it up there tomorrow let us all know if anything has changed. Good Luck. I may hit Fletchers for shad tomorrow.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
      Dang the reports, full speed ahead!!! You are indeed a glutton for punishment... but apparently so am I because I'm looking at Thursday or Friday (May 2 or 3). Wind looks a bit better on those days. It just can't be as bad as everyone says it is or as bad as what I experienced first hand on Saturday. I'll find them!!! (Famous last words.) Anyway, if you make it up there tomorrow let us all know if anything has changed. Good Luck. I may hit Fletchers for shad tomorrow.
      In addition to my kayaking gear and medium spinning rods, I threw chest waders, one light rod, and my shad dart box in the van. After I paddle all morning and have sore shoulders, or if the weather is too oppressive when I launch, I plan to try some shad fishing from Lapidum up to Deer Creek and maybe a ways up into Deer Creek. One way or another, I hope to find some pullage.

Good luck at Fletchers.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Flats were dead this morning -- I had no bites in 3.5 hours of trolling. gkreps joined me for the trolling -- he caught a whopping 12" rockfish to avoid the skunk.

The afternoon on the lower Susky was just the opposite. I put up a more detailed report in the Boatyard section.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Comment

Working...
        X