Gear for the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear for the cold

What do you guys use out there in the cold. I have a dry top and dry pants which kept me dry and warm but my feet were freezing last week when i went out. I have neoprene booties but those things dont keep my feet warm. Felt like I was going to get frostbite on my toes..lol
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

I wear wool socks under the booties on my waders. There are also sock liners, which are sort of underwear for your feet. You can wear those under the wool socks. That should be plenty. Neoprene is good for keeping your feet dry, but it is not warm. I also wear reef shoes over the wader booties. My feet tend to stay warm that way.

Comment

I like Bridgedale over the calf ski socks. They usually go for around $10 at sierratradingpost.com. There are three weights. I'll wear the lightweight as a liner and the heavyweight over top when it's super cold out or I'm wading. I bought different models of Wigwam wool socks for my father, and he loves them.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wool socks are the way to go! I also recently purchased a pair of moisture wicking base layer pants that do a heckuva job pulling the sweat from my legs. I used to just wear sweats under my waders, but when they absorbed my sweat it made me cold...

MYT

Comment

i got UA base 2 to wear under my waders. any polypropylene long johns will wick away sweat, the sock liners are great to keel itching wool off your skin. silk is a great insulator also and about the same price as UA

Comment

Fowl Weather Gear

There is a rack of fowl weather jackets at the West Marine in Annapolis, Hillsmere Dr, which are marked as 50% off the clearance price. There is about 6 fowl weather jackets that are $50, from XXL to L. Anyone interested, the rack is to the right just inside the front door. These are Henry LLoyd, PUMA and the likes. Good makes. If anyone is interested.

I'll try to post deals when I see them.

Dogfish

Comment

I have not had to wear long underwear under my wader pants. I have worn fleece type sweat pants. That was plenty enough for me. I have been looking at the Helly Hanson type underwear. I understand they are quite warm. I also use the Wigwam socks. They are good socks, very warm. When it gets below the 40s, I don't know how much fishing I'll will be doing. It may me more productive for me to build some of the rods that I have sitting around for next year. I am already thinking of the springtime large rockfish.

Also, yes the silk sock liners work great. I have use those for years, since I was a duck hunter, years ago.

Comment

I should have added that I got my base layer pants from Costco for around $18. I plan on going back to get the top!

MYT

Comment

under armour cold gear is awesome. Wear that under my waders (goretex) and smartwool socks with a liner. Just tennis shoes over that. The hobie pedals will keep you warm!

Comment

still work for a drysuit?

Does anyone use a drysuit? If so, what kind of layering do you use under it?

Comment

Working...
                    X