Trying Mattawoman for first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Yep- be aware that Saturdays are popular and the launch is busy, free and parking can be a bit cramped- Take a left off route 210 south just before you enter the Navy base at Indian Head on Mattingly- last street before the front gate of the base- at the end of Mattingly is the launch-

A few miles downstream of Slavins is another launch on Mattawoman, but it isn't a no wake zone- it is a state park closer to the mouth of Mattawoman and the Potomac-there is good fishing there for both snakeheads and bass- you just have more powerboat traffic and have to watch out for fast movers-

Mallows Bay is another place you should consider for bass and snakeheads- lots of old wooden ship wrecks are anchored there (supposedly, over several hundred) and most have filled in with silt over time- lost of snags, lots of old rusted out iron rods sticking up that held the ships planks together, so you need to paddle around carefully- not a place to use a Mirage Drive Hobie, strictly paddle yak territory- you will destroy a Mirage Drive if you are not EXTREMELY careful, with emphasis on extremely careful...but there are a lot of fish there- very fishy, lots of cover, lots of structure...bring lots of tackle, you will hang up a lot, but fishing can be good, too-
    I am sorry but never fish here before. So Slavin is the one end of Mattingly Street?

And is it safe to fish in Mattawoman Creek with a Hobie Pro Angler?

Thanks
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGQ View Post
      I am sorry but never fish here before. So Slavin is the one end of Mattingly Street?

And is it safe to fish in Mattawoman Creek with a Hobie Pro Angler?

Thanks
      Yes to both
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I will be at Mattawoman, but on Friday morning at 7:30am. There will be at least three of us there in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Yep- be aware that Saturdays are popular and the launch is busy, free and parking can be a bit cramped- Take a left off route 210 south just before you enter the Navy base at Indian Head on Mattingly- last street before the front gate of the base- at the end of Mattingly is the launch-

A few miles downstream of Slavins is another launch on Mattawoman, but it isn't a no wake zone- it is a state park closer to the mouth of Mattawoman and the Potomac-there is good fishing there for both snakeheads and bass- you just have more powerboat traffic and have to watch out for fast movers-

Mallows Bay is another place you should consider for bass and snakeheads- lots of old wooden ship wrecks are anchored there (supposedly, over several hundred) and most have filled in with silt over time- lost of snags, lots of old rusted out iron rods sticking up that held the ships planks together, so you need to paddle around carefully- not a place to use a Mirage Drive Hobie, strictly paddle yak territory- you will destroy a Mirage Drive if you are not EXTREMELY careful, with emphasis on extremely careful...but there are a lot of fish there- very fishy, lots of cover, lots of structure...bring lots of tackle, you will hang up a lot, but fishing can be good, too-

If you head towards Smallwood state park there is an old cruddy looking gas station, right after on the right is Mattawoman Creek Rd. drive to the end and there is a small parking area that you can launch from. It's still in the no wake zone and you avoid most of the power boat traffic from Smallwood.
          Jeff B
          Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
            If you go down around the first two bends there is an old barge, they seem to be hunkered down in the lily pads before and after the barge.
            Just beyond the mentioned barge remains, on the opposite side, a small creek empties into the main creek. Not very wide but a kayak works just fine and is better on a rising tide as it is pretty shallow back there. That creek holds snakeheads and bass mostly along the right side going in. Lilly pads abound and that's where they hide. If you like frogging, try the Koppers Mouse - snakeheads love mice as well as frogs.
            HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Late update.

Mattawoman was very pretty creek. Took the Mrs. out there. We saw quite a few Bald Eagles, White Herons, and Blue Herons, Red Winged Blackbirds, Osprey, Geese. We had a pretty good stiff wind Friday and bright sun. I didn't do much serious fishing. The wife seemed to be on a mission to paddle the whole creek. I would take a few cats, and then have to paddle like mad to catch up to her. Anyway, the fishing seemed tough. I did manage one nice 18" Largemouth on a fluke.

Even on a Friday there was a decent number of Bass boats out there. I even saw a snaggedline sticker on a truck in the lot.

I think that may have been my only bite.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

If it was a green truck parked down near the ramp, then it was my truck....

Comment

Working...
                X