IRI fishing report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRI fishing report

Was down at the in-laws for Turkey day and went out Wednesday afternoon and again Thursday morning for some striper and tog action. On Wednesday got there with my brother-in-law as the tide turned and was heading out. Launched at the ramp and made the quick run down to the coast guard station. Stripers were everywhere. Gave Charlie 5 baits, kept seven for myself and went 7-7, the biggest was an inch shy of being a keeper and most fish were in the 22-24 inch range. Charlie hooked up but only landed 1 fish. Couldnt hook a tog to save my life, but I fed them well on green crabs. A lively spot would only last maybe a minute before being eaten. On Thursday am got there and the tide was already running in, so rather than fight the current I just launched right there at the Coast Guard station. Fed the tog again and went 4-6 on the stripers, again all the fish were 24-27 inches. Spot are the ticket, although you could also do well LTJ. Talked to a few guys in boats and everyone was hooking up, but saw very few keepers. All in all 2 great days.

thanks for the report doug. sounds like you guys did very well.

Comment

Sounds like you guys have the inlet dialed in!

What's your tog rig from the yak? Standard heavy mono with a dropper loop and a snelled hook? Float rig? Just curious bc I hope to try for them soon.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

moc and i went out on the ocean princess on sat and we used 2/0-3/0 khale hooks on droppers about 6-8" from the bottom. i got 1 17" keeper and a throw back and moc got a couple TBs and some small BSB. very rough off oc with 30 mph winds it was difficult to feel the bite. only 7 of us went out nice to have the boat to ourselves.

Comment

Standard heavy mono, dropper loop with a lighter leader coming off due to the snags next to the wall. Attach the weight with a heavy rubber band (you'd be amazed at the number of times you can pop your rig out of a snag this way). Have experimented with numerous differnt hooks, sizes and styles. I'm open to suggestions. Dont think I've used the Kahle on anything other than flounder.

Comment

lots of people worry about the current there, it really rips. Ive read at least 6.5 on my FF while standing still in the boat. But due to the eddies and some local knowledge, we have figured out how to fish the inlet. Pedal boats are mandatory here. Also my B-in-law moved better against the current in his revolution than i did in my outback. If anyone is ever going and wants to pick my itty bitty brain, just reach out, happy to help.

Comment

i never used khale hooks until saturday but thats what the HB are using to put tog in the coolers. capt bunting showed us the proper way to rig a green crab, stick the point through a leg joint from the out side into the meat. he explained that the tog suck the guts out and pull in the khale and get hooked.the 17" er was so well hooked i twisted the hook in a circle before it came out.

Comment

i assume you cut the crab in half and the hook is coming out of the meat in the middle?

Comment

exactly, if the the crabs are small the capt. said to put 2 on the same hook, if they ate the first one they would come back for the one behind. i wish it wasnt so windy so i could feel the bite better because there was no shortage of tog on those wrecks

Comment

ive spearfished some of the wrecks off ocean city, the blenny and the african queen. shot plnty of 10 lbers, the wrecks were usually covered in fish. use scissors to cut them in half? peel off any of the sheel/legs? high quality rod and light braid really helps detect the bite. How small was a crab when you used 2?

Comment

cut them in half and cut the legs back to nubs, stick the hook through a leg joint into the guts. scissors or heavy knife to cut them in half. the little ones were about 1.5" when halved. if you have a large GC and are using a double drop rig put both hooks into the crab for a better hook up chance. i was using a semi custom rod and a quantum cabo reel loaded with 40# PP, it was hard to keep on the bottom with the boat lifting up with the waves. we were almost right in front of bethany beach/ fenwick isl.

Comment

thanks, I may run down to the inlet again if you're up for it.

Comment

sadly the revos in the barn for the winter but i might go down on the 18th and tog from the rocks at IRI

Comment

Working...
                          X